Thursday, December 26, 2013

Boxer Day

Frank gives a nice boxer hug.
Today was Boxing Day in the U.K. and in many former British colonies.  It's St. Stephen's Day in Ireland.  But it was Boxer Day at our house because we took in a new boxer named Frank.  He's a good looking, young, male boxer, who was adopted out of a shelter in Georgia.  He came to live with some nice folks on a Keswick horse farm but Frank wasn't too friendly with the resident dogs, stalked the cat with malevolent intentions, and wasn't good with the horses either.  Frank is sweet and friendly with people, however.
 
He's not a big boxer and he's very lean
but he has been putting on some weight.
I went to meet him late this morning and heard his story.  He was reportedly doing somewhat better with the dogs at this point, but not the cat. He had been a stray and was probably having to fight for any food he could find.  It had only been a couple weeks since he was neutered so there was some reason to hope for further improvement at least with the intra-species relationships.   I met him, liked him, and brought him home to give it a try.

Meeting Trooper
Meeting Ochie
Meeting Mad Max
I put him in a kennel by himself at first as I usually do, but decided to accelerate the introduction process.  He wasn't running the fence, barking, or displaying any aggressive behavior.  I put a leash on him and brought him into the dog yard with Trooper.  No problem.  Everyone likes Trooper.  I brought out Ochie, who immediately wanted to play with him.  Frank wasn't quite ready for that yet and he snarled at Ochie a bit, but everyone does.  Then I brought in Mad Max, still no problem.
 
I'm a sucker for that boxer face.
Maya was on one of her unauthorized walkabouts around the neighborhood so she missed introductions but she showed up again finally and I put her into the shed along with Ochie and Frank when we went to town for dinner.  Everyone came out alive and well when we got home this evening. 

Frank and Ochie are in adjoining crates in my office for the night, and I think Frank will be just fine. 

Happy Boxer Day. 







No comments: