Monday, May 19, 2014

No mow Sunday

Toquima went back home today.
He was happy to see his dad but we will miss him,
particularly Maya who loves to play with him.
He'll be back when his folks travel again.
My bad mower karma continued on Sunday; I had no luck getting either mower operational. The grass continued to grow and I couldn't do anything about it. I will call the mower man tomorrow. It's just grass. Since I couldn't mow, I spent most of the day on the container garden. I whacked back the garden-facing side of the boxwood hedge pretty severely and raked underneath the bushes to tidy things up. I then proceeded to rearrange a lot of the containers and garden elements to create some height and interest against the bare boxwoods. The entire hedge needs to be taken down like this and it will be when I get around to it. It had been cut back like that before we moved in and it grew back and it will again.

The butchered boxwoods look pretty bare.
I ran up to Lowe's for a few new pots and back to the nursery for some more sweet potato vine. I have now planted everything I've bought and it's really pretty much done.

I moved some heavy stone architectural elements that we had bought at an auction several years ago. There's a good chance I'll be regretting that tomorrow but I'm glad they are moved.

I took Sparky out for a walk early this evening, just four miles, but it was good for both of us.

The garden looks pretty busy and chaotic,
but I hope that a profusion of greenery and'
blossoms will bring it all together in a few weeks.
Gambit is making himself at home and he's generally fine although he has taken a dislike to Ochie. No one around here really blames him for that.

Sparky on our walk today.



We came across a patch of these blue flowers
along the trail today. Who knows what they are?
This is the bridge that had been moved
by a flood from a heavy rain a couple
weeks ago. The rain and floods we had
last week moved it a bit further downstream
but I was surprised it was still there at all.




This bench was pulled out of the ground by the
recent flooding.

We started today's hike very late so
we got to see the sun going down.

Sparky never misses the chance for
a good roll in the grass.



No comments: