Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Heating up

Ochie and I did an eight mile hike on Sunday. He was the best he's ever been, with very little jumping from side to side and only moderate pulling. The fact that it's getting warmer may be part of the explanation, plus the fact that I was going for speed that day, which fits his walking style very well. Sunday was still a pretty pleasant day, but the heat and humidity came in on Monday.

 I took Monday off from walking because I had more planting to do and a fairly intense thunderstorm roared through here late in the afternoon when I might have been out on the trails.

The container garden moved closer to completion, but true completion is an ever receding target as I find more pots to fill. I wonder if OCGD (obsessive/compulsive gardening disorder) is a recognized mental illness.

I managed a few pics of Gigi posing near the garden.




Tuesday was hot and humid. It was 90+ degrees in the afternoon and quite humid from the rain that came along with Monday's storm. Sparky and I set out for a hike in the afternoon. I was hoping to do at least five miles and we did six, but it was obvious from the start that we would be taking it slow and easy. I planned the route such that we did four stream crossings and each time we stopped and stood in the water to give Sparky plenty of opportunity to cool down. He's an older dog in the heat and I think that Sparky's summertime walks are going to be limited to cooler days, early mornings, and shorter distances.

He had a good time, but the heat and humidity were tough on him. I may be walking Ochie and/or Max more often in the summer.







No comments: