Thursday, May 15, 2014

Gambit



I received this pic as a text message on my phone yesterday.  He's a seven year old male shepherd named Gambit in my local county shelter.  Nice, friendly dog, came as a stray on April 30th and still unclaimed as of May 14th.

I promised to come meet him today, but an afternoon storm came through with a lot of rain so I didn't get there until about 4:30 p.m.  Gambit was still there and he was ready to go.

He had been neutered just a day or two before and he had current vaccines courtesy of the shelter.  The vet who did the neuter also pulled a couple teeth that needed to come out.  He had already been tested and was negative for heartworms.  They did another blood test on him while I waited and it showed a positive for Erlichia and a faint positive for Lyme.
Looking out the window at the shelter.
He was ready to get out of there.

The dog has obviously had some good social history and training.  He's very friendly, and will readily sit and stay.  He's very food motivated, very.  He could be wearing a sign that says "will work for food."

He was ready to go and so we did.

Gambit in between Toquima and Cabell
Toquima met us at the door when we arrived back home and he was a perfect candidate for a first introduction, followed immediately by Cabell, and shortly thereafter by Maya and Ochie.  He was fine with them all, just happy be here.  I settled him into a downstairs crate next to Ochie.
Meeting Maya

He's a shepherd so his back end isn't great.  Not sure if it's displasia or DM, or both.  I'll make an appointment for an exam and xrays with my vet in the near future.

He's not a young dog, but he's not ready for hospice either.  I suspect he'd be a great dog for an older person and I don't see anything to make me think he wouldn't be fine with visiting grandchildren.  The shelter called him Gambit and I think that's just fine.

Meeting Gigi








No comments: