Monday, May 12, 2014

Thar she grows!

The first day's shopping trip,
from Plants N Things in Fluvanna
Second shopping trip,
from Strange's Nursery

My container garden usually gets planted when my mother comes to visit in April. She didn't come this year because we don't have a guest room currently and because we are all going to visit her in Kansas for Memorial Day and her birthday at the end of this month. I've been consumed with hiking and keeping the grass in check so the garden got off to slow start this year. I've been buying plants for the last few days, however, and finally started planting.
On the first planting day I concentrated
on the end nearest the house.
The planting itself wouldn't take so long, although there are a lot of pots to fill. I don't do any fall cleanup, however, so that slows things down. Plus, I dump the dirt from each pot and remix it with some fresh potting soil, vermiculite, and slow release fertilizer. 

I moved a few pots, even trashed a couple, but
most of the layout is consistent from year to year.
On the second day I worked on the
far end, but still on the outside edge.
It should look good when things grow.
I started with nine flats of plants and have probably planted about seven so far. I still need to cut back the boxwood and plant the containers that are set along the boxwood hedge, many of which are being overgrown by it. I think I have most all the plants I need, although I do see a trip to another nursery for more sweet potato vine and a maybe a few more things. Then it's just water, water, water.











No comments: