Monday, January 9, 2017

Good days of winter

Sunday was a cold day but the sun was shining and that's always a good day in my book. I took Maya and Sparky out for a hike. It took two miles before my hands warmed up, but we stopped after just three miles because I felt that was probably enough for Sparky. The dogs enjoyed it and I did too. Some of the trails had been walked on by people and other dogs, some only by deer, and some were covered with still virgin snow.

When you were in the sun and out of the wind, and properly dressed, it was possible to convince yourself that it was warm.

I should have taken Maya and another dog back out for another short hike, but I just took Trooper, Theo, and the rest out for a romp in the front yard instead.

Monday morning it's bitterly cold, 3-5 degrees depending on which thermometer you look at. I gave the foster girls a little play time in the dog yard after feeding them, but then brought them back inside. Everyone else is fasting until it's warm enough that I want to deal with it. But again, the sun is shining and the wind is calm, so it's going to be a good day.









Sparky looking very hound-like here.

This is Sparky's "Are you sure you know
where we are going" look. 


Maya following a single set of deer tracks. She spent a lot of time with her nose in the snow
and would have liked to follow the tracks when they left the trail.


Theo with a big, happy smile.

Trooper was more playful in the snow than he
normally is outdoors.

Trooper and Theo

No comments: