Friday, August 11, 2017

The Freedom Trail

I was out hiking with Axel and Baron yesterday evening. It was getting dark but I was wanting to give the boys a good hike and get in 4-5 miles for myself. It is getting dark earlier now, almost two months past the summer solstice, and it was pretty much dark by the time we finished. Due to the failing light and our need for speed, my pictures aren't great. But it was a great hike, a momentous hike even, because I got a notice while we were walking that some wonderful HOWs volunteers had managed to secure a signature on a surrender form from Axel's owner.

He's not going back to live on a chain in the dirt. He now has a chance he didn't have before. I'm happy beyond measure, and I'm grateful to the former owner for making the tough and selfless decision to do what's right for the dog. Now it's up to us to find him a good home where he can live as part of a family as a true companion animal and receive good care and love for the rest of his life.

The reason I've been able to foster and let them go is that I know they are going to great homes when they are adopted. It would have broken my heart to have to send him back where he came from. He is such a happy dog, and a good dog, he deserves the best home we can find for him.

I will work on getting some good pictures of Axel so we can start to find him a home. Right now, even a temporary foster home would be good because I'm going out of town the middle of next week.

The search is on for the happy ending to Axel's story as a foster dog.











Baron
Axel




Baron is a former foster who is boarding with
us. I've been very glad that he and Axel were
here at the same time because they've been good
for each other. Both are young and playful.


Baron showing off his near-perfect
"heel." He's had professional training.










1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled for Axel. I was dreading his return to his chain. Thank you for helping him.

Jamie