Monday, August 28, 2017

National Axel Day

This is old news to anyone who has seen my Facebook feed, but I'm still catching up and getting back into the swing of things after vacation.

Saturday was National Dog Day. I'm not sure what that is about and I only knew about it from seeing posts on Facebook, but I celebrated by getting Axel adopted into a new home. These folks had contacted me prior to my trip to Kansas but I didn't have time to make it happen before I left. I had to board Axel while I was gone to lighten the load around here, and that was unfortunate for Axel, but necessary. In the long run, a week's delay won't much matter. I contacted the applicants when I returned, they had already submitted an application, so I drove out to Staunton with Axel to do a home visit that resulted in his adoption.

They were excited to have him and he was equally excited to be with them. Reports from the adopter have been positive. He loves kids and was good with their 5 year old. They fenced their property for him and although he's been checking the perimeter, he has stayed in. Axel had jumped out of my dog yard on a couple occasions but he didn't run off, he just showed up on the porch wanting to come inside. This seemed like a dog who really wanted a home, wanted to bond with his humans and be part of the family. They have the same attitude and it seems to be working out well for everyone.

I'm very happy for Axel and happy to have one less dog around the house, although that only lasted one night.






Axel was always quick to roll over for a belly rub because
he really likes attention and he's a very trusting dog.

He got a bath on his first day in his
new home and he cleaned up very
nicely.

2 comments:

hammer1924 said...

Ahh. Love this post. Axel was so lucky to have crossed your path, Brent. 🐶🐶🐶

Risa said...

IT's always National Dog Day in your house, isn't it? I know it is in mine.