Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Location, location, location

It's all about location. Most of our 8 to 10 dogs vie for the position of being closest to "He who feeds." Whether it's about status in the pack, an attempt to curry favor, or just love and devotion, I can't really say. Each dog's motivation may vary. But the result is that I'm surrounded by at least half a dozen big dogs at all times. Not that I'm complaining, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Maya is not just close to me, she generally has her head
resting on my foot so that we are in direct contact at all times.






Vince attaches himself to the "human in charge" at any given
moment. When I'm gone and Clay is home, he's attached to
Clay. When the housesitter is here, he's her constant companion.
That's Nora right next to my chair, and TJ next to her.
I have be very careful moving my chair when I get up to
avoid rolling over a dog's paw or tail.
That's Gigi in her coveted spot on the bed underneath my desk.
If Maya is on the bed, Gigi will move in and step over her to
squeeze in behind, which generally causes Maya to move enough
to make space for Gigi to lay down.
Maya and Gigi sharing the sweet spot at my feet.

TJ never acted like a "new dog" or a foster. He moved in and
proceeded to claim his spot right next to me. At first he would
snap at other dogs who dared to come close to us, but I have
finally, mostly, stopped that behavior. He still claims a spot
next to me in the bedroom, and generally next to my chair in the office.





No comments: