Monday, April 16, 2018

Placements and arrangements

Everyone who reads this knows that the most difficult part of going on vacation is being separated from your dogs. Making arrangements for 10+ dogs is challenging sometimes. We are going on a two week beer tour in Belgium. It's an actual tour, so we will be driven around to five different cities, taking in a number of breweries and two different beer festivals while we are there. We will also have free time on most days to explore the cities on our own to soak up some history. Should be fun.

Keyla is one of the few rottweilers I've had with an intact tail.
I had another one at an adoption event one time, and some
idiot kept insisting that the dog couldn't be a rottweiler because
he had a full tail. This guy apparently didn't know and couldn't
understand that most rotties only have short tails as a result
of them being docked. People can be so stupid.
We are fortunate to have a housesitter (Benny's adopter) who will stay here with six of them: Maya, TJ, Theo, Vince, Rugger, and Sparky. We are even more lucky to have found one person who will board Trooper. He likes her, and she likes him and isn't afraid of him. Max gets along there as well and I'll be taking them over on Thursday evening.

Jackie went to some folks up in northern Virginia who have adopted five?, six? dogs from me in the past. They like seniors and are well set up and suited for Jackie. I met them in Opal yesterday and they brought along Keyla, their most recent adoptee. Keyla is a rottweiler who had been brought to the U.S. from Mauritius by the former owner. I'm not sure if Keyla remembered me or not, I didn't have her for long, but she was very happy to see Jackie.

I hated putting Jackie through another transition,
but she's in good hands.
Axel came along on the trip to drop off Jackie to meet a couple who live just down the road. They had a completed application with Promises and were interested in Axel. They loved Axel of course. They've got about 14 acres in a rural area. I let Axel off the leash, which is something I never do at first meetings, but I'm pretty confident in this dog. He ran around the immediate area checking everything out (marking all the trees) and always came running back when called. They have two small children who may be too young to play with Axel very much right now, but they were interested in him and they will grow. They will be growing up with one of the best dogs I've had the privilege to foster. They were very nice folks who seemed like a good fit for Axel and he for them.
Axel loved the place that will be his new home. 

I brought Axel back home with me for now, to give them a couple days to get ready, but we will drop him off and complete the adoption on Friday morning on our way to Dulles.

Meanwhile, actions were underway to find a place for the puppy, Havoc. A new foster was found, which is great, but we also heard back from an approved adopter who is coming to meet him on Wednesday. If that doesn't work out he'll move to the other foster probably on Thursday. Lucky for me, I still have Axel as a puppy sitter this week.

I received this picture of Jackie later in the day,
she seemed to be settling in nicely.


No comments: