Sunday, April 1, 2018

The Start of Spring

Spring doesn't begin on a certain date. The start of spring isn't determined by when a particular tree or shrub comes into bloom. For me, Spring begins with the first mowing. The first mowing depends in part on when I can get a mower running and when the grass is dry enough and I have time enough without something I'd rather do. Because of all the variables involved it's impossible to predict the start of spring but it happened around here this weekend.

Not all the grass needs to be cut in the beginning. There are certain portions of the yard and pasture with a healthy growth of fescue and those are the parts where mowing happens first. I did most of high growth areas between yesterday and today, but once mowing starts there are always areas that will need it tomorrow.

I had Max, Theo, and Rugger out with me when I was mowing in the pasture. All three boys have grass stained paws this evening.








Left to Right: Max, Rugger, and Theo

It was Rugger's first big pasture run. 
Theo always had at least one ball in his mouth, of course,
and the other two usually did as well.










No comments: