Saturday, March 31, 2018

Super Saturday

If yesterday was Good Friday, today must be Super Saturday, and indeed it was. I took Rugger and Axel to a Promises Animal Rescue adoption event up in Gainesville. Maya came along because that's what she does. Both boys were very good. It was Rugger's first public outing and I was very pleased. He was friendly with everyone who stopped by. We also discovered that in addition to "sit, down, and shake", Rugger knows "speak" and he barks on command. That's not one I plan to use often, but it shows me that someone cared for this dog at some point and did put some time and attention in with him.

Axel really steals the show at adoption events though. He's cute, super friendly, and he really invites contact from strangers. He works the crowd like a politician, greeting everyone, and just generally putting on a good show. He can catch a treat, even a very small one thrown from a distance, and I really wonder if he might be a frisbee dog. I'm going to get one and find out.
I had to tell several people today that Rugger is not as old as
he looks. Those bare circles around his eyes make him look
like an old man, but he's only about six years old now.
Maya always clings to me at these events to
make it clear that neither of us are available.
I mostly left her in the van but she came out
and made a brief appearance.


It was Rugger's first public event and
he was very good.
Axel rolls over for a belly rub from anybody.



































When I got home I left Maya and Axel in the van and after unloading Rugger we headed out to Pleasant Grove for a hike. It was a beautiful day and both the dogs and I were feeling very spring-like, so we went for a nice five miles. Axel is so much like Maya. They are the same size and shape; they hold and use their tails in very similar ways; and I think Axel may be at least close to being Maya's intellectual equal too. We only saw one deer, but that pleased them both.

These two are so much alike, it's scary.













After the hike I did some mowing with Max, Theo, Vince, and Jackie out running around in the yard as I mowed. Everyone had some good activity today, except Sparky who spent most of the day napping in my office, but that's what Sparky likes.

Rugger and Axel playing indoors.

No comments: