Friday, June 29, 2018

New Danes

I don't know much about the backstory. They came today as transfers from another rescue group which had taken them in from a breeder/hoarder situation along with a lot of other dogs. They then took in another batch of dogs from a second hoarding situation and needed to make room.

We only had nine dogs so of course I said yes.

Indigo
They are an unusual but good looking pair of dogs. The female is a blue merle, we are calling her Indigo. She's very friendly and seems well adjusted. She's not real big and she seems to be in pretty good shape.

Hunter needs some weight, but that's generally
the easiest problem to fix.
The male is called Hunter. I haven't seen his color and markings before. I guess he's a brindle harlequin. He's a bit suspicious of new things and new people, but he's willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. He allowed me to approach and pet him, fit him with a new collar, and he was the first to explore the new space.

I took the afternoon off to get Sparky's old kennel back in shape for the new guys. I pulled the 3-5' lambsquarters but left the tall grass because they seemed to enjoy laying in it. Cool, fresh water in the tank was a big hit with them both on a hot day. I put up some shade cloth on the west face of the kennel for afternoon shade and put together a canopy to cover about half of the outdoor space.

They both ate dinner and seemed to be enjoying themselves checking out the new digs. They found some bones and a few toys and I'll get some more out to them tomorrow.

Indigo is a pretty girl. I gave her a pretty pink collar.





Hunter may be a bit cautious with new
things and new people, but he's curious
and willing to try.
I brought Obi over to meet the new Danes. He stuck around
to "help" me assemble the canopy and do some clean up.

It's not fancy, but they have several choices of shelters,
elevated beds, a deck, and plenty of shade. The shed is
ventilated with an exhaust fan and I'll put in an outdoor
fan tomorrow to at least move some air around.





They seemed to enjoy the feeling of green vegetation under
their feet, even if a lot of it is weeds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a handsome pair of Danes!