Thursday, August 22, 2019

Della is Home

The question I get most frequently these days is, "Are you keeping Della?" Yes, we are.

I couldn't send her to someone else for the whelping and I sure can't send her some where else after all we've been through together. That's my egocentric view of it, of course. Della could be happy with someone else and that person could possibly provide an even better home for her. But she's happy here. She's settled in. She's bonded with Clay and me and really bonded with Serena. She gets along with the other dogs, and has even learned to play with Maya according to Maya's rules, at least when Serena is not available.

Della is happy here. She loves to run in the pasture, loves to bark at the shepherds and to herd Max when he's free. She loves to hunt rabbit.

It may be a selfish decision on my part, but as hard as it is to think about the puppies leaving, I completely lose it when I think about leaving Della.

We all hate it when so many people will step up to take the puppies, either to foster or adopt, but no one wants the mother, before or after giving birth. That would not be the case with Della, I know, but she has a pretty strong alpha female streak in her and she may not be the easiest dog to adopt. I love the girl dogs and I think she loves me too. Della stays here, to be known henceforth as "Della, Ally of Serena, Mother of the Dozen Danes, Midnight Slayer of Rabbits, Canine Mother of the Year.















16 comments:

Jazzy said...

Congrats what a wonderful family true love so Happy for you both xooxoxo

Jazzy said...

😘😘❤❤❤Beautiful truely a blessing

mmmmgood said...

YES YES YES as it should be!! I am thrilled for all three of you.

Risa said...

Mazel tov. I knew you couldn't let her go.

koiwitch said...

I am so happy! I wanted you to keep her! Such wonderful news ....

Anonymous said...

YES!!! I just knew it. This absolutely made my day. So happy for everyone!!


Jamie

Anonymous said...

Yay! I was hoping for this outcome.

Anonymous said...

Imagine next year's family reunion!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! I am not surprised though....hugs
Cyndy

hammer1924 said...

I was like, "Is he really going to let Della go??" Brings tears to my eyes thinking about it. Hard enough to let those pups go (but ohhhh they will make many people very happy I know). :)

Scott Rothe said...

That's great news! Great joy to you all!

Anonymous said...

Completely made my day!! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Completely made my day!! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

What awesome news! I'm so happy for you all. Thank you and Clay for taking such good care of her and the pups. I know she will forever hold an extra special place in your hearts because of what you went through together, and it just makes perfect sense for her to stay with the family that loves her so much!! Congratulations on your new addition!! Alyce/GDU

Claire said...

This is awesome news! I can't think of a better family for Della. She definitely hit the jackpot when she found you and Clay. :) Thanks for sharing the happy news! Best post ever!

Byron's Mom said...

This update made my heart so happy. I kind of figured Della was home but makes me so happy to hear it's official!!!!