Tuesday, January 16, 2024

After the Snowfall

The dogs had me up and outside pre-dawn, as is our unfortunate custom. After everyone was fed and most were back indoors, I had Oakley, Paige, Dodger, and Paisley out to play in the snow. There was still some form of precipitation falling, and the sun wasn't up yet, so the pictures aren't great but they had a great time. 

Both Oakley and Paige are under a year so this was probably their first snow.

Paige (in front) and Oakley

Oakley eating mouthfuls of snow

Paisley was running with them too

This is the problem with Paisley. Her idea of fun is to run up
on another dog (Oakley here), and bite them on the butt.

Low light conditions or this would be a very good picture of Oakley.




Later in the morning I drove Dodger over to Green Dogs to meet Dodger's new foster home. He's a great dog and he's easy to have around, but he wasn't really getting what he needs at this point. He really needs to learn to trust a human and to enjoy human company and contact. Those are essential traits for most dogs, but particularly for labs.





The sun made a valiant effort to break through the clouds at one point this afternoon. I missed that opportunity but I got out a little later with Norman for some pasture time. I walked and he ran at least 10 times the distance I covered.






Norman is a Malinois/St. Bernard mix. He's big and he's powerful.
He's sweet, but very headstrong. He's got to be a good 120 pounds or more.



After the pasture run, I brought Norman back into the yard with me as I did a few chores. I installed two stock tank heaters because we are supposed to be getting some really cold nighttime temperatures this week, and also put a second heater in Norman's shed for the same reason. Finally, I re-filled a few bird feeders, having gotten my feeding operation started up again a couple weeks back. I've got 14 feeders, about 8 different types of birdseed. They are beginning to attract quite a few birds.


I've got two feeding stations, each with six feeders,
and a couple others that I still need to get hung.




No comments: