Monday, January 22, 2024

Kangaroo Dane

I took the three Danes, Della, Oakley, and Paige, plus Maya and Paisley out for a run in the pasture before the sun went down Monday afternoon. They all enjoyed it, but none more than Oakley. 

I can't decide if Oakley's gait is kangaroo-like, or more like a bunny. I've seen rabbits flat out run and they are fast. They only do the classic "bunny hop" when they are relaxed, safe, and moving short distances. I'm not sure I've ever actually seen kangaroos run, but Oakley's run brings kangaroos to mind because she hops as much as she runs. She is capable to doing a straight running gait, but she doesn't often do so. I guess what it reminds me of is a track star running hurdles. She doesn't do it in the yard where the grass is short, it seems to be reserved for the tall grass in the pasture. She's tall enough to see where she's going without jumping, maybe she doesn't like the tall grass touching her belly so she tries to jump over it. Maybe, probably, it's just for fun.



Oakley, going up

This is Oakley, on the down portion of her leap.



I don't think she ever stopped moving when we were out there today.

Paige and Oakley




The video below captures a little bit of her running/leaping gait.




I actually got two good pictures of the sweet and wonderful Paige today.



I'm still not letting Elvis out to resume his hunting, but Della, Maya, and Paisley came out for some sun, snow, and a roll in the grass.



Of course I can't have my camera anywhere near Della without getting a couple of gorgeous pictures of her.




I had to keep my eye on Oakley because more than once she came flying straight for me and could have easily taken me down.


A meeting of the three Dane girls.



No comments: