Thursday, March 28, 2024

A watery run

We've had about 2.5" of rain over the past week or so. That's more than the thin layer of topsoil we have around here can handle, so much of the water is just standing on top of the ground. Even where there are no puddles you splash as you walk. I don't see how anyone ever made a living farming around here. But the sun was finally trying to break out late this afternoon and the dogs and I were bored, so I took a group of five out to the pasture to run – Norman, Bailey, Paisley, Elvis, and Ford.

Norman ran, and ran, and ran.

Paisley and Ford both had an interest in a tennis ball they found.

Bailey did her pouncing act and then ran to another place to do it again,
without any reason to believe there was any prey about.
Norman just ran after her.

Ford stuck pretty close to me most of the time.

When the ground dries out enough I'm going to get someone out to cut the grass in the pasture.
Bailey will be disappointed for a while but I plan to let it grow again.


Ford and Norman are my only two fosters at the moment. 
That will change soon.


Norman, Bailey, Elvis, and part of Paisley

Ford has a pretty coat, but his legs and belly got wet and muddy out there today.

Bailey thinking (hoping) she's located a mouse.

Here's all five in one picture: Paisley, Ford, Norman, Elvis, and Bailey

Ford was not interested in hunting but he ran with them sometimes.

 Bailey was torn between wanting to run and wanting to hunt.
Mostly she ran and Norman followed.



Paisley and I actually played fetch for a while. I had no idea she was into it.
It's probably the most normal dog behavior she's got.

This wasn't out on today's run, it's Candace in the kitchen. But it's a remarkable picture because she came up to me on her own, touched me with her nose as if wanting attention from me or just wanting to connect. This is not something Candace typically does, she's normally very aloof, so it was very nice to see.






No comments: