Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Old girl walk: Candace and Maya

After walking Della and Paisley today (two miles), I put on a pot of soup to cook and then went out for a second walk with my two old girls, Candace and Maya. I haven't walked with Maya in a long time because she doesn't seem to want to go any more, and I had never walked with Candace. I kept it to just one mile but I think both girls enjoyed it.

Maya doesn't ask to go out on hikes any more and that's ok, she's hiked hundreds or more likely thousands of miles with me over the past 10 or so years. But I put her harness on her today and she didn't seem to mind it. In fact she headed directly for the van because she knew what it meant. Once we got going she seemed to enjoy herself like she always did.

After finally getting Candace back, I had been loath to take her anywhere outside the yard. But she's really been enjoying outdoor time on these nice days we've had recently, and I've seen her run around enough in the yard and pasture I felt that she was up for a hike, and she was. 

Candace and I don't have a leash walking history, however, and she was a bit nervous about getting in the van and starting out on the hike. Once we got going she wanted to do her thing while I wanted to do mine, so we both had to make some compromises. One mile was enough and she's sleeping soundly this evening. 

















No comments: