Saturday, September 4, 2010

A "round up" of rottweilers?

I've established that 5 or more German Shepherds constitutes a "shitload".  But what do you call a collection of rottweilers?  and how many does it take?  The old joke, "just don't call them late for dinner" is certainly applicable to rotties.  As is "where do 2 rottweilers sleep?  Anywhere they want." 

Clay once had a dream that I had taken in or accumulated 13 rottweilers.  Nice dream, although it might have been a nightmare for him.  That many rotties would require 3 or more full time people, just to satisfy the constant demand for petting.
 
These two rotties are Stonewall (Stoney) (on right in pic above), who was adopted to this nice lady several years ago, and Daphne (left in above pic), who is being "fostered" by Mary Jane and Stoney.  The term "fostered" is a euphemism here, meaning "We are just waiting to make sure before making a lifetime commitment."  All three of them want this to work out and I'm confident that it will.  The only problem I halfway expected was Stoney being jealous because he has had Mary Jane all to himself for several years.  But he is enjoying the company, at least once he realized that there is enough food for both of them.  Stoney has always been fine with other dogs when he visits here, and I was reminded that he did share his former home with another dog.

Daphne wasted no time in attaching herself to Mary Jane, following her everywhere.  Although she'd never do it, I expect she could walk that dog without a leash, she is just that devoted to her already.  It's nice to see a dog who knows a good thing when she sees it and tries her best to make it work.  Daphne was a little apprehensive about visitors in the first week (we never had any here when I had her), but we worked out an introductory routine that seems to be working, (i.e., dogs outside when visitor arrives, observing through sliding glass door, Stoney enters first and Daphne sees his approval of the visitor, then Daphne enters and is given treats by the stranger.)
I think she will be fine once she's been there a while and knows the ways of the household.  When she first came to our place she didn't eat for several days.  That's not unusual for many dogs (we call it the "German Shepherd Hunger Strike" around here), but it is the first time I've seen a rottie do it.  So she's a dog who is upset by change, even when it is change for the better.  She is sweet, kind, and gentle however, so I'm confident that she will work out fine in her new home. 

Well, I have some work to finish up and I have decided to take Belle and Sunny to an Animal Connection adoption outing this afternoon at Harris Teeter.  I had committed to yet another shepherd who is arriving next Tuesday, so I need to try to move someone. 

Lacking any better ideas while still working on my first cup of coffee, I'm proposing to call an agglomeration of rottweilers a "round up."  If 5 shepherds constitutes a shitload, and I figure that one rottie is worth at least 2.5 shepherds, then I think that two or more is enough to constitute a round up of rottweilers.  Needless to say, Mary Jane's household is quite secure. 

2 comments:

BudsBuddy said...

A riot of rotties?
A rumble?

Years ago we used to walk our 2 rotts in a park where 3 others also played, and it was always an adventure! I'm sending you a few photos from those days via email, hope you enjoy.

Brent said...

I like both of those, especially "a rumble of rottweilers". I believe we've coined a new phrase.