Saturday, September 25, 2010

Vegetables and bulls

Today was the annual Vegetarian Festival in Charlottesville.  Part of the event is an adoption fair with a number of local shelters and rescue organizations.  It is an event that attracts an animal-friendly crowd and is generally good for a placement or two, sometimes of tough to adopt dogs.  Hairy found his new home there years ago.  I loaded up Buster, Teddy, Bubba, and Belle and went with Animal Connections. 

I'm not a vegetarian and it's difficult to get away from my spot when I'm watching four dogs to get something to eat, so I loaded up on food at Burger King on the way in and brought along a cooler full of iced coffee and iced tea. 

I think we have a good lead on a possible home for Bubba. It's a good enough prospect that I cancelled my plans to take him to Gainesville on Sunday and am doing a home visit tomorrow late afternoon instead. No real good prospects for the other dogs, except I'd love to place Teddy with Wendy, the organizer of the adoption fair, who has a fondness for shy hounds.



It was a nice day, slightly cooler than yesterday but it still felt more like summer than fall.  I saw several friends and met several Facebook friends for the first time. One of my former fosters, Della, now called Mabel, came by to visit.  We were never sure what she was but she has an irresistible face.  From the neck back she looks like a golden.  Seeing her today, I realized that she has the exact same snout as Belle, the Shar-pei.  She also has the wrinkly forehead and purple spotted tongue.  The adopters had come to the same conclusion some time ago.  My camera wasn't working again, so I stole the pic above from a friend's FB album.  The pic at right is of Mabel from her time in foster care.  She was adopted from the Vegetarian Festival two years ago. 

This evening Clay and I went to the PBR bull riding event in Charlottesville at the John Paul Jones arena at UVA.  JPP arena has been open for a couple years, I guess, but the first event we had attended there was Lady Gaga just two weeks ago.  Tonight's PBR crowd was a bit different and I suspect we may be among what is only a small group of people to attend both events.

2 comments:

Bonnie Loves Cats =^..^= said...

That would be wonderful if Wendy would adopt Teddy.
http://vadogrescue.blogspot.com/2010/05/i-am-animal-rescuer.html

Jeff McDowell said...

I think that baby is mixed with a Chow. Not seeing much Pei in that one. ;o) Hope Baby-Belle is doing well!