Monday, September 13, 2010

Fingers crossed

Saturday morning I drove over east of Richmond to the home of a former foster, Truman.  These folks adopted Truman from me many years ago, maybe 2003?, and have since had three children.  Truman is now Dexter and he has been a wonderful dog for them.  He is now a little gray and a little heavy, but he's doing well.   I took Sunny to meet Dexter and the rest of the family and have left her there to see how everyone gets along.  They have a huge, fully fenced back yard, which Sunny had a great time exploring.  The initial report, and pictures, were very good.  She was great with the kids and with Dexter.

Sunday I took Trooper, Buster, and Bubba up to a VGSR adoption event in Gainesville.  Bubba was the star of the day.  Right from the start he greeted every stranger like a longtime friend.  This really amazed me because he came from a rural area and had probably never been to a busy, suburban shopping center full of cars, people, and dogs.  Nothing phased him.  He worked the crowd like a politician, moving from person to person, comfortable with everyone, kissing babies right and left. As soon as he's neutered I think he will be easy to place.  Because I expect him to be a short-termer, I'm leaving the name as is.  Whoever adopts him can change the name, or not, but I didn't see any need to throw too many new names at him in a short period of time.

 
Late in the afternoon on Saturday a local couple had come over to meet Sugar. I'm generally pretty skeptical of products of the local gene pool, but these people were not natives. They liked Sugar and I liked them. After I got back from Gainesville on Sunday, I loaded up Sugar and went to meet them a second time, and to meet their current dog. They have a standard poodle who is 12 years old but sure doesn't act it.  They also have a beautiful home and fenced yard.  They both work, but one is taking off Thursday and the other one is taking Friday off so I can take the dog over Wednesday evening, giving the dog four full days to settle in before being left alone.  Sugar was a bit unsure, but she was interested in them and I think will be very comfortable there after a day or two.  The timing is perfect too, because Kane will go in for heartworm treatment on Tuesday and will need to come inside to a crate when he returns on Wednesday. 

Think good thoughts for Sunny and Sugar this week.  They are both great dogs and both have great potential homes.

1 comment:

Nerdy Knitter said...

oh, Sunny looks like she belongs there by Dexter's side--how adorable! Hooray--I'll keep my fingers crossed that it all works for both pooches.