Friday, September 17, 2010

Fabulous Friday

Actually the day didn't start out so great.  Our air conditioner went out yesterday late afternoon.  It wasn't too bad last night, but you could definitely feel the humidity in the house, although how it can be humid in this desert-like summer is beyond me.  But the day picked up pretty quickly.  I got W.E. Brown, Inc., on the phone and they had someone out  here about 10:00 a.m. and he had it fixed in about 10 minutes.  The temp was going up to 90 again today and that's the forecast for the foreseeable future, so I was glad to have the air back on. 

Even before the air was back on, I found myself with three new foster puppies.  Their foster mom got called out of town on a family emergency so they needed a place to go.  My puppy kennel just happened to be empty, Sugar was its last occupant, so now I have three beagle mix puppies for a while.  Puppies are fun to have when the weather is good enough to permit them to be outdoors.  I pulled out some clean toys, but they didn't stay that way for long.  They love the burrow under the platform in that kennel.  It's a very cozy den.  I expect that most of the toys are down in there now. 

This is my new foster, a 7 year old shepherd mix named Jeremy, pulled from the Fluvanna County shelter today.  Jeremey seems like a nice guy who has had a few bad hands dealt to him, including a case of heartworms.  He's been treated and now we will see what we can do about turning his life around for a better future. 

I got an email from Sunny's new home.  It's been almost a week and they have decided to make it permanent.  The subject line of the email read:  "Sunny - SOLD!", so it knew at a glance that it was going to be good news.  They said:  "She’s a keeper. Sunny’s super smart, really sweet, and a quick learner. She’s picked up fetch, and loves spending time chasing balls and frisbees in the backyard with us. I think she’s had a positive effect on our couch potato [Dexter] too!  . . . we start training classes on Sunday. I know she’ll take right to it. All in all, I think a great fit."  That made my day, but it just kept getting better.

A woman from northern Virginia who had met Boomer a few weeks ago drove down here late this afternoon.  Boomer now seems to be gaining weight, so she took him home, along with his favorite ball.  Boomer will be very happy to be back in a home again with a person of his own, and she may even be wanting a second dog sometime in the future.  It will be a great home and I think Boomer will do his part to fit right in.  I'll be keeping fingers crossed on this one, as we still are for Sugar, who went to her new home Wednesday evening. 

Sunday is VGSR's annual reunion.  It's a long drive but it's always nice to see a lot of my former fosters so I'll be going, although I'm not sure which, if any, of the dogs I'll be taking.

1 comment:

Shayna said...

If I save my vacation time next year I'm hoping to drive out for the reunion! You'll have to keep me posted for the date.