Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Cleaning up the desktop

I recently installed a new picture as the wallpaper on my desktop.  However, most of it was obscured by a mass of icons, many of which are dog photos downloaded from email.  I set about to clean them up today and this posting of mostly pictures is the result. 

Some of pics are of dogs that someone, somewhere, was looking to get into a rescue organization.  Many more of them are pics of my current or former foster dogs.  Unfortunately, many of the pics have no name associated with them and some I just don't recognize.  Cameras give the pictures meaningless computer file names and the names of the zip files that they arrive in are usually equally obscure.  Many of those that I can't identify were probably dogs that were sent to me in the hope that I could help.  In some cases, however, I'm pretty sure they were former fosters but I just can't remember who. 

I don't know if I'm losing my memory or the ability to associate names with images, or if it's just the number of dogs that have been through here, but I can't remember all the names anymore.  It's particularly a problem with the shepherds, because that's what I've had the most of and, let's face it, many of them tend to look the same after a while. 

Anyway, the top two pics are of Holly.  She's the female that came with Buddy.  I never got any good pics of her but her adopter graciously sent me a few.  She fit in well in her new home, good with the dogs, kids, and the household in general. 


These next two pics are photos of a poster advertising a therapy dog program.  The dog in the pictures is one of my former fosters, a ruby red Golden Retriever named Abby. I don't remember where I got Abby, but she was first adopted to a couple up near Culpeper, I believe.  The husband died in a tragic and freak accident one winter when he slipped on some ice, fell backwards, and suffered a terrible head injury.  Abby was returned after that and was subsequently adopted to a wonderful couple who drove down here from Delaware to adopt her.  It wasn't long before Abby was certified as a therapy dog and doing hospital visits. 

I'm very proud of her, the adopters, and even a little proud of myself for choosing them among many interested persons.  Actually, that was easy.  They were very enthusiastic and backed it up with an excellent application and references, not to mention a willingness to drive down here from Delaware. 

Tomorrow is the day that Buck goes in for his makeover and Teddy tries to find comfort and security in a new home.  This evening I drove to Richmond and finalized King's adoption.  Buddy has been in a new home since Monday afternoon and has managed to make friends with Starr (not always an easy task).  The little shit climbed or jumped her fence today, but she's determined to make it work and is planning to string an electric wire on top of the existing fence.  I'd love to be there to see the look on his goofy face when he gets zapped the first time.  Hopefully it will be the last time he tries to go over the fence.  It's a great home, I'd hate to see him blow it. 

This final pic is one of Griff with his latest foster, a young fawn who is growing up.  I just hope this deer doesn't think that all dogs are just like Griff.  Rotties are special, and Griff is a special rottie

1 comment:

BudsBuddy said...

I'm sure you are familiar with the storybooks about "Carl," a male rottie who babysits his family's toddler and takes her on many fun adventures. It's rotts like Griff, and several others I have been lucky enough to know, who make me believe these fairytales are not so far from the truth ....