Saturday, November 6, 2010

Prospects

Adoption often seems like a matter of playing the odds.  The more irons in the fire you have, the better the chances of something happening.  So the last couple weeks have been largely a matter of developing prospects, and I have several right now, but only one actual adoption.  The one adoption isn't a surprise either, it was the boxer girl, Gracie.  She is sweet, gentle, rather calm and sedate.  She had been coming in the house at night since the beginning.  Stairs were new to her, but she took to the crate without a problem.  Like all the boxers we've had, she was just a really nice, sweet girl. 

A woman contacted me who has a female boxer that looks much like Gracie.  She came out to meet her one day last week and took her home.  I went to her place on Thursday and finalized the adoption.  Gracie, now Penny, has some things to learn, but she's a smart girl and the owner's attitude is what really convinced me that it will work out.  She didn't expect the dog to be perfect from the start.  She didn't expect the two dogs to be instant BFFs (best friends forever).  She knew that she needed to learn the dog's habits as much as the dog needed to learn hers.  I'm still sitting on the adoption contract for a while, but I have high hopes for this one. 

The category of "prospects" is much larger.  A woman who I've been trying to adopt a second dog to for the longest time came out on Friday to meet Buddy.  They hit it off and she went back home and returned with her dog, and the two dogs hit it off.  I may take him for a second meeting, on her home turf this time, perhaps tomorrow or Monday. 

Friday evening I drove over to Short Pump to meet a couple who were interested in the black shepherd, King.  They took him home for the weekend, along with a crate that I loaned them.  They were nice and it must not have been an immediate disaster because I haven't heard from them yet.  I expect we will talk tomorrow and see if they think it's a good match. 

Today was an adoption event with several rescue groups at the Best Western motel at Zion Crossroads.  It was indoors, which was nice.  I took Belle, Sunny, Bubba, and Buck.  Buck met a woman I've known for a while who had applied to adopt from VGSR.  She wasn't completely set on getting a shepherd, however, and she recognized Buck's potential.  He's obviously had some training; he appears to be housetrained; he's calm and sedate even in a crowd; and he's got a good, solid temperament (which is more than can be said about most German Shepherds).  I'm going to get him to the vet next week and to a groomer to clean him up, and then we'll go meet her household, cats included.  He met some cats today and didn't seem interested.  He's very interested in food and knows how to hustle.  All the signs seem to indicate that this dog has had some good social history with humans. 

The best possibility of the day, week, and entire year came in the form of a former adopter today.  She brought her dog Cooper (formerly Copper) to the event to say hello.  She's been doing a lot of training with Cooper, and now has him in advanced obedience and agility training.  She's thinking of getting him a playmate and she thought about Teddy.  I could hardly contain my excitement about a prospective home for Teddy.  And it does seem that he could be a good fit.  She wants a dog that she doesn't have to do much with and that she won't feel guilty about not taking to all the classes and such that she does with Cooper.  That's perfect for Teddy because he's even more anti-social than I am and he's perfectly happy at home.  He and Cooper have a history of playing and living together too.  Her cats are the biggest issue there and we'll just have to see.  Sometime tomorrow afternoon I'll take Teddy over there to meet and greet.  Keep your fingers crossed, say a prayer, or cast a spell, whatever you can do to send some good vibrations Teddy's way tomorrow. 

I'm doing a home visit tomorrow morning for a local couple who were interested in Trooper.  Trooper isn't a good choice for them, but Bubba probably would be, if they don't have cats--I'll have to check.  I'm still getting some inquiries about Belle.  I had a call this week from someone who met her at the vineyard last weekend, but he hasn't really followed up.  She is now listed on the shar pei rescue's website, so that may help.  The guys who were interested in fostering or possibly adopting Tasha still are, but I still need to check her out with small dogs and we need another vet visit to look at a raw spot on her side. 

I don't expect all of these prospects to pan out, but hopefully a few of them will.  Oh, and I think that Trooper is probably going to be my christmas present.

3 comments:

WendyH. said...

OMG, I'm sooo hoping this works out for Teddy...he deserves it!! I'll say a prayer, light a candle, cross my fingers and click my heels. I'll even bribe the potential adopter for you if it would work! :-)

Darlene said...

What a great Christmas present!!! Trooper loves you!

BudsBuddy said...

Hoping Cooper can whisper some magic words in Teddy's ear!