Friday, October 29, 2010

Pushing ahead

I haven't had one good thing to say all week, so I just haven't said anything.  Bubba came back on Thursday after another cat incident in the neighborhood where he was living.  According to the adopter, who had seen Bubba grab and shake her own cat, this one was an attack by the cat (not hers), when they were outdoors.  Even though the cat started it, Bubba was going to finish it, and it was more than she could deal with and I can't blame her.  He is now definitely "no cats" and the same goes for any other dog I have.  I took the new boxer girl to the SPCA to cat-test early in the week.  She was ok, but not good enough to actually live with one so that pretty much cemented my opinions on trying to adopt my dogs to cat people.  Not going to happen-- it's not worth the effort on my part, adopters generally won't put out any effort, and it's not worth the risk to the cats and, consequently, to the dog's reputation. 

I'm going out to Pet Supplies Plus tomorrow afternoon with probably 3 dogs, and to Keswick Vineyard on Sunday afternoon. Some home schooler called this morning looking to get rid of her rottie, I told her all I could do was post the dog's pictures, and so far I haven't received anything.


Today I decided to get back to basics.  I took pictures of the boxer, now named Gracie, for the websites and wrote a bio for her.  I did new write ups for Belle, Bubba, and Buddy.  I answered email inquires about King.  I sent an email to someone who is looking for a boxer.  I wrote to a couple shar pei rescue groups and asked them either take Belle or cross-post her on their websites.

I rearranged dogs a bit, putting all 5 of the under 60 pound dogs together in the big kennel (Gracie, Teddy, Belle, Jeremey, and Sunny), and 5 of the larger dogs in the dog yard (Trooper, Buddy, King, TJ, and Buck).  Bubba moved over to the kennel we call the Doll House, next to Sparky, and Tasha came indoors.  All the bigger dogs had pasture time as did our own dogs, and the small dogs worked themselves up to a frenzy playing together in the kennel late this afternoon. 

All is quiet this evening.  I made baked beans and cornbread for dinner, warm comfort food on a very cool, fall evening.

No comments: