Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Yes, we have a cat

I've been to the vet every day this week.  Today it was Eleanor's turn. 

Eleanor is sort of like Teddy.  I've never been mean to either of them but they have both always been scared of me.  I yell too much for them, but that's the only way I've ever been able to handle all the dogs around here.  Eleanor is semi-feral and lives mostly under our house.  She lays on the front porch in the sun and will come up to the window to call someone when she wants to eat, but that's as close as she will come to voluntary contact with a human.  She has good shelter under the porch and seems to be able to get back into the crawlspace under the house where the furnace is located because we've heard her in that area during the winter.  I've also set up a dog house on the front porch for her in the winter, with a heating pad, rug, and blanket, although I'm not sure she uses it much. 

These two pics were taken when she was younger, somewhat better socialized, and we lived up in Catharpin, with only cat-friendly dogs.  She loved our first rottie, Jack. 

Our house has termites and today we had the treatment done.  I was told to not let the cat come in contact with the ground until the chemicals had dried, so I needed to get Eleanor to come in prior to the treatment.  We started a couple weeks ago setting a trap baited with tuna on the front porch.  We caught a neighbor's cat, twice, and finally got Eleanor a few days ago. 

Since we had her indoors, finally, I scheduled a vet visit because she was due.  We got vaccines, wormer, and Frontline, although she didn't show any signs of parasites or even fleas. 

I released her when we got back home.  She'd be a great barn cat if we had a great barn.

No comments: