Monday, October 11, 2010

Busy week at the vet

Because I have a few dogs who may move next weekend, I thought I'd better make sure everyone was fully vetted.  Bubba needed boosters on a couple vaccines and I realized that I had never finished his course of doxycycline for Lyme Disease, I had been giving it to King instead.  King had been on it as well for a shorter period of time before his heartworm treatment, but I kept giving it to King instead of Bubba.  That is a hazard of having too many dogs with too many medications. 

So I got enough doxy to start over again with it for Bubba; better safe than sorry.  I also got enough Panacure to worm everyone again.  Buddy and Holly were due to a second treatment of that and I'm just going to do them all based on the assumption that they've been sharing.  I'm also going to pick up enough Revolution to treat everyone because several of the dogs are doing some unexplained scratching. 

Luke went to the vet with Bubba.  He has a history of chronic ear infections and they have flared up again.  Apparently it's just yeast, but he has scratched up his ear so we have antibiotics for the cuts on his skin and miconazole drops for the ear canals.  Another VGSR foster home has offered to take in Luke next weekend.  She has a senior shepherd herself and can give him a better foster home than I can right now.  I'd trust her with any dog, any time, and I know she will find him a home eventually. 

Tomorrow I'm taking in King for a follow up check up after his heartworm treatment.  He met some potential adopters on Sunday.  They have a Saint Bernard and 3 cats that we will be meeting next Sunday.  I'm also taking Jeremy back to the vet, his skin still looks bad and I suspect he's going to need some further treatment of some sort.

I also made an appointment for our cat, Eleanor, on Wednesday.  I think that will address all of our immediate veterinary needs.  At least I hope so. 

The pictures here are not really related to this post, but they are a few pics of former fosters that have recently come my way.  The gorgeous German Shepherd on the upper left is Huck, formerly Nemo, who was rescued along with his brother, Hannibal, from life on a chain thanks to a former adopter.  Huck has completed a basic obedience course and even passed the CGC (Canine Good Citizen) test. His new adopters are now VGSR volunteers too.   

The next two pics are of a former foster rottie named Sable.  The one on the top right was from a "Blessing of the Animals" event.  Bernie's head is in the foreground, and apparently Bernie allowed the minister to touch him, which is a privilege extended to few, but he saw Sable doing it so he must have figured it was all right, or wanted to see what it was all about anyway.  The next pic is Sable in her garden. 

The next pic on the right is Cassie, kissing one of her new twins.  Cassie's dad called me last week, it seems she suffered a pinched nerve or something like that in her neck and was in quite a bit of pain. Another former foster rottie, Stoney, has had a similar problem from time to time. Cassie was getting pain meds, anti-inflammatories, and muscle relaxers, plus lots of rest and TLC, all of which seemed to be making her feel better.  Cassie is a very maternal rottweiler.  This household also has my former foster Hydro, now Cooper.  Those children are not going to grow up being afraid of big dogs.

Finally, the pic below is Daphne, another rottie who has been unofficially adopted for some time now.  We just made it official after another vet visit last week.  She seems to be responding to the thyroid medication.  She lives with Stoney and their mom, Mary Jane, who dotes on them both.  Daphne is a doll.
 

There were a lot more rotties than shepherds in the pics today.  I have a very busy week with the shepherds at the vet and next Sunday with some possible adoptions.  If I can get the number of shepherds down, I can concentrate on some non-shepherds for a while.  An application came in to the SPCA for Buster today!  I'll contact them and check it out tomorrow.

No comments: