Sunday, October 3, 2010

Dogs being dogs

I have rarely had a dog as playful as Buster.  He is tall, long and lean, and very agile.  He leaps when he plays and it's really more of a wrestling match than anything else.  He will go at it as long as another dog wants to play along.  Trooper likes him and they play together a lot.  Tasha seems to want to join in.  Our Cabell played like that when he was younger and I may introduce them and see how it goes.  Trooper climbs the steps to the 6' platform when he wants to get away from Buster.  Yesterday, Clay saw Buster grab Trooper by the tail as he was ascending the stairs and pull him back to the ground.

This time of year and this kind of weather is great for the dogs.  They love the cool mornings and even the afternoons are decent enough to get up and play if the mood strikes.  I added the black shepherd, King, to the pack consisting of Trooper, Buster, Luke, and Tasha. 

Friday was VGSR's annual golf tournament, more on that in a later post. There were no dog adoption events this weekend.  Saturday morning I did heartworm preventative on all 17 dogs around here and wormed everyone with Strongid too.  We got at least a third of the pasture mowed Saturday afternoon, maybe closer to half.  I put the canoe in the Rivanna River this morning and had a very nice 2 hour float trip from the Rt. 600 bridge down to Palmyra.  This afternoon, I fired up the chain saw and cut down a big cedar out of one of the kennels.  I hated to lose it, but last winter's snow and ice uprooted it so I just finished the job.  One of the igloo dog houses got broken too, but I have a spare that was given to me a while back.  The A-frame shelters in there need some work too. Fall projects.  At least it's enjoyable to be outside now. 

I got this compact little Flip Video camera for christmas last year.  I haven't even learned to use my new cell phone yet, so I was a bit intimidated by the video camera.  But my regular camera has bought the farm so I decided to give this thing a try.  It's surprisingly simple, straightforward, easy to use.  They haven't added so many features that make it unusable.  Even the sofware seems easy to use.  Supposedly you can capture still shots from the video, but I haven't learned that yet.  However, the uploading to either Facebook or Blogger is slooooow. 

No comments: