Monday, October 25, 2010

Cats, dogs, and rabbits

Well, Bubba wasn't returned after all. I got an email Sunday morning saying that they would not be returning him, they are in love with him and are going to try to work through the cat problem.  I'm glad and I admire them for that but it brings up a recurring problem that I have with adoptions.  I had tested Bubba with cats and he was as good as any dog I've tried, but you just never know until they get into a home with them.  Then the people and the cat have to do their part too.  Generally I find that it's the people who are not willing to do what is necessary to make it work, namely, to modify every one's living arrangements in whatever way is necessary to provide the cat with a safe and secure living environment.  That may mean that neither the cat nor the dog has free roam of the entire house right from the start, and it may mean months, not days, of acclimation.

I am sick of people insisting that everything has to be perfect from the start with no effort on their part, whether it is with their cat or anything else.  Few if any cats are ever going to be happy about a dog moving into their home. Consequently, cat ownership has put people into a do not adopt category for me unless they can convince me that THEY can make it work.  I don't want any one's cat to get hurt and I don't want my dogs bounced around either. 


Yesterday I met a nice young couple who wanted to adopt and were interested in Buddy.  They have no cats but they live with a pet rabbit in a townhouse, with no fenced yard.  Get real.  I suppose that with the right dog and the right people they might be able to make it work, but the odds are against them and I can't see putting a dog into that position.  There is a time and a place for everything, and that is not the time and place for a young shepherd. 

I did meet another couple yesterday, however, who I would adopt to in a minute.  They were interested in King and then they met Buddy and TJ too.  They are already three time adopters.  I hope to adopt someone to them soon.  Whichever dog they decide on will have a good home. 

Aside from that meeting, the best thing that came from yesterday's adoption event, was, well, two things really.  1.  TJ made his debut and did very well with people and other dogs; I was very happy about that.  2.  VGSR's photographer took these pictures of Buddy, TJ, and Tasha. I also took King yesterday, but we already had some great pics of him. 


This week I need to get the new boxer girl and Buck to the vet for vaccines and TJ needs a heartworm test. 

And, in spite of my rant above, I also need to test the boxer girl with cats, and I need to test Tasha with small dogs.  It may be time for the final mowing of the season and it is also time to get on some fall maintenance projects that need to be completed in my outdoor dog facilities before it gets seriously cold. 


At least I now have all the dogs I've committed to taking at this point.  We are currently at 12 fosters and I've promised not to take any more until after Thanksgiving.  Any one that I get adopted now is one less that I'll have to board when we go away for Thanksgiving.

No comments: