Saturday, October 2, 2010

Luke and Tasha join the pack

Luke and Tasha are the German Shepherd and Rottweiler who were recently returned to me after being adopted out back in 2004 and 2005.  Both dogs are nice, but adoption prospects for an 8 and 9 year old are few and far between.  If they become long term or permanent residents, it will really cut into the number of new fosters I'll be able to take in and save.  Mostly I'm mad at myself for misjudging the adopter. 

Tasha actually looks pretty good.  She is the only rottie I've known that I would describe as a dainty eater.  She takes small bites, tastes it carefully, and seems to make a decision whether or not to eat on a piece-by-piece basis.  Luke is probably 25 pounds overweight.  It seems that Luke has been eating a good share of her food as well as his own.  He is now getting smaller portions of food and I'm supervising their eating time so he eats only his own food. 

They are current on vaccines at least and appear to be basically healthy.  Luke has a history of ear infections, which have left one ear tipped and somewhat disfigured.  I remember Luke as being a very vocal shepherd, but he's been fairly quiet here so far.  Tasha is a sweet girl.

I kept them together but separate from the rest of the fosters for the first several days, but today I let them into the dog yard with Trooper and Buster.  This way they will have access to the shed, which has nice straw beds and is better shelter for fall and winter weather.  They also have more space for exercise.

Everyone is getting along fine.  Buster will play with anyone.  Trooper is probably glad to have someone else to help keep Buster occupied.  Tasha seems interested in joining Trooper and Buster in their very athletic play.  Luke seems most interested in letting the other boys know that Tasha is his.  He keeps trying to remind Tasha of that as well, but I think this might be a rather one-sided male/female relationship.  She seems to have an eye for the younger guys. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

great blog as usual!