Thursday, October 21, 2010

The bachelor's dog

This is TJ. He was given up to me last Saturday on the eve of his family's move. Until they can sell their house here and buy another one in their new city, they are moving into the parents' basement--a husband and wife and two children under the age of two, no room for the dog unless they put up a pen in the backyard.  I certainly wasn't looking to take in another dog now, but I really didn't know what was going to happen to this guy if I didn't.


The dog, age 6, pre-dated the wife and kids and at one time led a good life as a bachelor's dog. By all accounts he got along with the wife and kids, and still seemed happy, but as often happens, he had become largely relegated to the backyard and a portion of the walkout basement. A young man's dog often goes the way of his motorcycle, jeep, or boat after he gets married and the babies start coming. Priorities changed, and I suspect that the demands of supporting a family necessitated the move.

He wasn't happy about it, and neither was the dog, but it was probably the best thing for the dog. He deserves a home with room for him, where he's a priority too, and a full fledged member of the family. And he's young enough still that he has a good chance at a second life.

TJ pulled a German Shepherd hunger strike, but only for one day. Now he's eating, settled in, and getting accustomed to the routine around here. He's in a kennel next to Sparky and in a crate next to Sparky at night. He seems healthy, his weight is good. He needs a heartworm test and I think he may need to be neutered still. I'll have to check, but I wanted him to get to trust me before I get too familiar with him.

[Later]  I've moved TJ in with Sunny.  He seems fine with female dogs but I haven't tried him with a male yet.  He's relaxed now, doesn't seem distraught, and he does appear to be neutered so I'll probably take him out to an adoption event on Sunday.

His former family will probably get another dog someday, when their kids are older, and I'm sure they will provide a dog with a good home.

2 comments:

deannie said...

TJ is gorgeous!

Wendy H. said...

It's hard to love kids when you do animal rescue, and see how many animals suffer when the new baby comes into the picture. At least that's the excuse I use for not liking kids....though I know that there are many wonderful families who realize that their companion animals do not become disposable when a new family member enters the picture. Too bad that doesn't seem to be the norm.