Saturday, October 16, 2010

From pillar to post

A diagram of Tasha's life would look like this:
Home --->; Shelter --->; Rescue --->; Home --->; Rescue --->; ?

Tasha, shown here as a young dog in 2004, was the product of a Louisa County backyard breeder. I first met her at the shelter after a call from a volunteer who goes out there several times a week to walk dogs. Tasha's early life was hardly one of luxury, but she was basically treated well and well cared for, to the limits of her owner's circumstances and ability. From what I understand and recall, the young woman who owned Tasha had better taste in dogs than in boyfriends. A domestic split occurred, the young female owner moved out and young female rottie ended up in the shelter facing euthanization or possibly worse.

We took her in from the shelter and Tasha's life took a dramatic turn for the better. She was adopted by a yuppie--a dog-loving young man, great job, going places professionally. She moved to a lake-front house, claimed her spot on the sofa, and had dinner cooked for her most evenings. He traveled a lot, but had someone hired to take care of the house and dogs.

There came a time, however, when his professional success no longer benefited his dogs. He took a job on the left coast; it was a great job, a real career advancement, but one that had no room for the dogs. He kept his house here, mostly because he couldn't sell it, and the dogs occupied it alone, with daily visits from a caretaker. The other dog in this story is a German Shepherd Dog named Luke. Both shepherds and rotties are very people-oriented dogs, and they were living alone, but at least they had each other for company.

The news arrived via email that the dogs were being returned, without much advance notice and at a time when I was already full of dogs. It's easier to understand and even sympathize with the person who had to give up his dogs due to a downturn in his own life. I find it more difficult to feel bad for a guy who's become so successful that his dogs suffer for it.

Tasha is now probably 8 years old, Luke is even older. Their standard of living took a giant step backward by coming back to foster care and living in my kennels. However, Luke is moving to a senior-friendly foster home this weekend so things are looking up for him again. Except for an ear infection and being a bit overweight, he is basically healthy and surprisingly playful. He will be in good hands and will be fine, although when and where he will be adopted again is a huge unknown.

Tasha will be ok too. I'll take care of her and do my best to find her a home. But I can't help but feel bad for a dog who, like so many others, has once again found herself homeless due to the vagaries of chance and the fortune of others.

We humans often feel controlled by events and circumstances rather than being in control of them, but consider Tasha's tale: she had a decent home in the beginning and lost it because of her human; she then had a great home for several years, but lost it, again because of her human. Different reasons, but same result for the dog.

3 comments:

Cathy Lawder said...

I eventually had to get out of rescue because of the people, not the dogs. That fellow owed it to his dogs to move them out west with him. And I never understand people who put partners before their pets. How could someone really love me when my pets are so much of who I am? How could someone who really loved me ask me to choose?

Shayna said...

Well Rocky and Shika are loving it out west! Too bad for the others who didn't make the journey. If the dogs can't go I'm not going.
Of our our VA rescue shep's is now a resident of Singapore! (former coworkers of Micron that adopted before they were transfered here)
People always ask why I drive so far to work and why I don't move closer. My standard response is "I prefer more diversity." That quickly leads people to the conclussion I'm not Mormon. The next is my apartment allows the dogs-after all it is all about them! And boy do they know it :o)

Anonymous said...

Poor sweet girl. Good luck to you and her.