Friday, October 15, 2010

Reunions before partings

Buddy and Holly came to me together.  I think Holly is Buddy's mother.  They are very close and he is very dependent on her--too much so, actually, so I've kept them apart since Holly's spay surgery last week.  They have a similar howl-like bark that they do when it gets dark and they want to come inside.  Holly has been coming into the house since her surgery and Buddy has been going into a crate in Sparky's shed. 

Buddy is being adopted on Sunday and I hope that Holly will be moving to another foster home on Sunday.  So I put them back together for a reunion today, in the big kennel with Sunny.  Buddy and Holly were happy to see each other, but it was Buddy and Sunny who really took off playing together.  This video is of the two shepherds eating together.  I separated Sunny for feeding because although Holly will share a food bowl with Buddy, she will not extend the same courtesy to Sunny. 



The other two dogs that come to me as a pair are Luke (GSD) and Tasha (rottie).  They were no where near as dependent, but they were bonded.  Luke has ear infections so he's been coming inside to facilitate medication and healing.  When I moved Buddy over with Holly and Sunny, I moved Tasha into the dog yard with Trooper and King.  Today, Luke went back to the vet for a thorough ear cleaning under anesthesia.  When he got home with Clay this evening I put him into the dog yard with Tasha.  Luke will be moving to another foster home on Sunday. 



Yesterday I made contact with a woman up in Orange who was interested in Buster.  We spoke on the phone Wednesday evening and she sounded great.  Thursday was expected to be a rain day, and my one non-dog day of the week, but the rain moved out early so Buster and I drove up to Orange in the afternoon.  She has a 7 year old dog that had come from the Madison County shelter.  He is the spitting image of Buster, except that he's about 3/4ths of Buster's size.  The two boys have the same play style and they hit it off.  Buster spent the night there and he's there still.  The woman wants him, but she's leaving for a job in Florida on Tuesday (flying) and will be gone at least 2 months.  We are both looking for long term boarding/training options.  Failing that, he'll come back for a reunion with Trooper Sunday evening and I'll have another long term foster. 

No comments: