Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Gearing up to go

We go to my sister's place in Kentucky every year for Thanksgiving. Getting out of town is always difficult, for obvious reasons. This year I hope to get at least two of three fosters farmed out to other foster homes so we don't have quite so many to board.

Tasha is going to the home of two former fosters, a rottie named Sable and a rottie mix named Bernie (formerly Rowdy). She is still on antibiotics but nothing else for now and today the vet called with the biopsy results. They showed a Class 2 mast cell tumor. The classification was the only thing in question really. The report stated the pronosis as "fair" with a 70 month median life expectancy. That's almost 6 years and she's an 8 year old dog now, so I'd be happy if she had another 6 years. The edges of the tumor were "clean", which seems to be a good indicator that it had not begun to spread. The other blood work was good and she sure seems to feel better, so under the circumstances, that's about the best we could have expected.

Her incision looks good and we changed her t-shirt this evening.

Buck, a/k/a The Big Hairy Beast, has an interesting prospect. When I was at the vet with Jeremy this afternoon, I saw the director of Service Dogs of Virginia, which uses the space on the bottom level of the vet's office. They were looking for a dog that might work as a "balance dog", which basically is a dog that a person could hold onto for balance, which walking or while getting up or down. He certainly seems to have a rock solid temperament, so they are interested in meeting him. Clay is going to drop him off there tomorrow morning to spend the day.

I have two other foster homes, one of which will probably take in Bubba, not sure about the other just yet, but she is coming on Friday to meet the pack.

Jeremey is one that I'd like to get into a foster home. He's an older shepherd mix that I've had for quite a while now. He's had a rather persistent skin condition, which isn't contagious and has improved, but hasn't entirely clear up either. We have him on more antibiotics as a result of today's vet visit and he had a medicated bath indoors this evening and will be spending the night in a crate in my office.

4 comments:

Shayna said...

I should tell my friend Stephanie that you are visiting KY and bringing her husband his German Shepherd! She'd kill me. I keep teasing sending your blog and rescue dog photos. I'm sure when their old dog dies off Scott will get his wish-I'm rooting for him anyway ;)

BudsBuddy said...

Good news about Tasha, I'm glad she got a (relatively) good report. Is Jeremy the dog who also had persistent ear infections? Could be food allergies, that's what our Storm's ear and skin problems turned out to be.

Brent said...

The last dog I had with ear infections was Luke. He's with another foster home now and is on a new food in the hope that they will clear up. I may have to do the same with Jeremey but we haven't tried that yet. The bath went well and he looks and smells a lot better now. He's really liking being an inside dog too.

BudsBuddy said...

Most of them do :)

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!