Sunday, December 19, 2010

Holiday pictures, addendum

Here's the Christmas pic with Rocky, Shayna, and Shika (L to R).  She emailed it to me since I've misplaced the card somewhere among the flotsam and jetsam that is clogging every inch of countertop and desktop around here lately. 

The next pictures are a dog named DJ.  Clay and I were talking about him just a couple days ago although I couldn't remember his name at the time.  His story stuck with me, however, and came to mind when we were driving past a few of those inflatable xmas yard decorations.  I remember receiving the phone call about DJ.  The owners wanted to get rid of him because he had been destroying some of the neighbors' inflatable yard decorations at Halloween time.  Obviously, the dog had more discerning taste than the neighbors. It was in Fluvanna County and I went to meet the dog.  I pulled into the lot in front of their trailer and knew that I'd probably be taking the dog even before I saw him.      

Clearly he's not a purebred shepherd, or a pure bred anything.  But he was a sweet and friendly guy, well socialized with the neighborhood children, most of whom also appeared to be of indeterminate parentage. The dog needed to get out of there. The children probably did too, but the dog was the lucky one that day. 

DJ is probably part shepherd anyway, and I adopted him out through VGSR to a young couple, with children, who cared only about the dog's temperament and demeanor, not his pedigree.  Here is the original posting about DJ's adoption a year ago.  They sent these pics the other day in an email, saying: 
"DJ has been a great addition to our home. Playful, eager to please, good house manners. Thanks again to all who were involved in saving and placing such a deserving dog!"
He was a deserving dog, they all are. 

No luck today, but Biscuit should be getting adopted tomorrow.  That will put me down to 6 fosters, assuming he sticks, which is plenty for the winter.  I'll probably check on the other Orange County shepherd on Tuesday.

No comments: