Friday, December 3, 2010

Pancho

A new rottie named Pancho arrived yesterday.  He was given up along with his buddy, a small dog named Scruffy, because of the owners' health.  He's just under 2 years old, neutered, house- and crate-trained, good with dogs, and even cats.  He's a little freaked out by the move, but he's doing ok.  He's content now that he's in a crate in my office.  It's getting a little crowded in here.  With Tasha and Molly, it makes three upstairs rottweilers, plus Trooper at night and Zachary.

I don't know much about him, but he's a great looking dog.  Scruffy went to another foster home.  Pancho is missing him, I'm sure, but he won't lack canine companionship.  He met several fosters here already and was fine with them. He was good in the crate overnight, a bit hesitant to go up and down stairs, but he did it without too much urging. 

The prior owner reported that he takes a little time to build trust and he's a bit shy and reserved with me so far.  However, he seems to know that he's going to need a person, after all that has always been his source of food, and he can see that the other dogs think I'm ok, so I don't think it will take too long to win him over. He's going to need a heartworm test and kennel cough vaccine (everything else is current), but I think we'll wait until he's completely comfortable with me before going to the vet. 

Since he has to be indoors and my indoor foster space is very limited, I'd like to get him to another foster home or preferably to an adopter as soon as possible.  Of course, that's true with any dog.

No comments: