Monday, December 13, 2010

Triumphant Tessa

I woke up to rain on Sunday and it continued pretty much all day.  When I went outside in the morning, three of the four shepherds I was planning to take to Gainesville were already wet and getting muddier by the moment. No one likes a big, wet dog, so I wasn't too hopeful, but I loaded up TJ, Tessa, Biscuit, and Jeremy and we went off to Gainesville. 

Everyone was pretty much dry by the time we arrived and the event was indoors due to the weather.  Tessa was a hit, as expected, and all three of the new dogs were good, which I didn't dare expect.  Biscuit was a bit anxious; Tessa was curious and alert, taking it all in.  Jeremy just wanted loving, and TJ was his usual calm, stable self, wishing he was home with his basketball.

Tessa was amazingly well behaved at her first outing for having lived most of her first two years on a chain in a backyard. For all that they didn't do, at least the prior owners did socialize her well. She was terrible on a leash, but the prong collar sorted that out nicely. She was very affectionate and full of kisses for everyone today.  Not surprisingly, Tessa had several people interested in her, any of whom would have given her a great home, but I sent her home with another VGSR volunteer who had recently begun looking for a dog after their last one died a couple months ago. 

I love placing my fosters with other volunteers.  For one thing, I know it will be a good home and a committed home.   Second, I'm pretty much assured of keeping in touch with them, getting pictures, updates, etc.  Third, it helps sustain my reputation within the rescue for getting good dogs, which sometimes helps in placing others. And finally, I just think that our volunteers deserve a bit of preference in adoption, assuming they are well qualified and well suited for the particular dog. There was no question about that in this case so I was happy to send her home with them.  They will take care of the spay so I could cancel the appointment I had for her the next day. I know they are committed to making it work, but even if it doesn't work out the worst that will happen is that I'll get back a spayed dog who will then have some history as a housedog. 

I put Biscuit and TJ in the dog yard when we got home. Biscuit, who does have history as a house dog, decided to jump the fence and come to the house to knock on the door.  He then tried to eat his way through the door of the shed when I shut them in there.  He wanted to make it clear that he was a house dog.  So he and TJ came up to my office, next to Trooper, with Molly and Tasha up here as well. 

TJ and Biscuit are both well mannered indoors and have known history as house dogs.  I'd sure like to move them into homes soon.  I have a possible lead on Biscuit.  Unfortunately, I didn't get any pics taken of him today as our photographer was busy with Santa pics at Petsmart.  These are pics of Tessa in what I hope will be her new home.

1 comment:

BudsBuddy said...

Looks like Tessa is adjusting to indoor life just fine :) Sounds like Biscuit is a pretty smart boy ... knows what he wants and votes with his feet!