Thursday, December 9, 2010

Tessa

I haven't done much with the dogs this week except try to keep everyone warm and comfortable.  I've cozied up the kennels with straw and done some work on the shelters.  Everyone is either in the house at night now or at least in one of the outbuildings. 

Last Saturday I had to go to Teddy's new home to help corral the little shithead.  Apparently he stopped coming in the house at night as soon as she signed the adoption contract last week.  She didn't want to leave him in the yard when she took Cooper to his class and couldn't even get him into the outdoor kennel within the dog yard.  Grrrr.  Some dogs just seem to be determined to make it difficult or impossible to help them.  I was told that progress with a shy dog like Teddy wouldn't be linear, and it isn't.  He had been showing some small progress, but this latest behavior is a bit of a step backward. 

The young male shepherd, Buddy, now called Taz, is another one.  His adventurous fence jumping was stopped with an electric wire, but lately he's been exhibiting some possessive/aggressive behavior that is troubling.  I suggested kicking his ass, but have also suggested a consult with an actual trainer. 

I'm really kind of tired of shepherd shit, and all of the neurotic, obsessive, compulsive, problematic behavior that so much of the breed seems to demonstrate.  So what do I do when I'm sick of shepherds?  Take in another one, of course.  Some people never learn. 

This is Tessa.  She was surrendered to a shelter over in the valley by people who were moving, perhaps losing their home, I'm not entirely sure of the circumstances.  She's a big girl.  At less than 2 years of age, she's about 83 pounds and is very lean.  She may also be the best looking female shepherd I've fostered (no offense to readers who have adopted girls from me).  And I limit the statement to dogs that I've "fostered", not all female shepherds that I've had, because my girl Gypsy would take offense.  Gypsy will hate her anyway, just because Tessa is a female.  She's a big, good looking dog, and she moves beautifully.

I don't know much about her yet.  We went to the vet right after I picked her up from a transporter in Charlottesville.  She was great at the vet, and thankfully, she tested negative for heartworms and was also parasite free.  We have a spay appointment for next Monday.  She rode with me around town for several hours while I did some shopping and errands, perfectly still and quiet in the crate even when I was away from the car.  She met TJ and Trooper when we got home after dark this evening.  Troop wants to play with her and they did some running around the dog yard already this evening.  She's crated next to him in my office now for the night.  We will see what tomorrow brings. 

5 comments:

Shayna said...

Wow she's a beauty! I laugh though when you say big. Shika's 86-90 on average and the Rock has topped off at 95lbs! He's turned into quite the buff boy.

Sue said...

I'm tired of shepherd shit too. My 2 females got into it again today. Blood, blood, blood. At least I didn't lose a finger this time!

BudsBuddy said...

Yes, my experience with unsocialized dogs is that there can be periods of backtracking. Then sometimes it seems like the light bulb just goes on all of a sudden. Our dog Storm did not like anyone to touch his collar. One day I worked with him on this, calmly but firmly. Three times I tried and three times he snapped at my hand. I really wondered then if we would be able to keep him. But when I tried again a few days later there was no problem, and none since. Patience, patience ....

Wendy H. said...

Teddy is totally awesome, and I refuse to believe otherwise!

Anonymous said...

J'ai appris des choses interessantes grace a vous, et vous m'avez aide a resoudre un probleme, merci.

- Daniel