Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Mowing by moonlight


I went out just before 5:00 p.m. to do some mowing.  That's about the time the sun goes down so I didn't have too long.  I mowed a part of the lawn area with the walk behind mower for exercise and then fired up one of the riders to make a few passes through the tall grass in the pasture. 

I let Cabell, Bremo, Zachary, and Ryland out to the pasture for a romp while I was mowing.  Molly went out with them too, but at that time of day she only stays out long enough for the first dash out to the road and then a quick squat to take care of  business.  After that, she is ready to be back inside.

I wish I had taken my camera with me because as I was doing my final pass, I spotted the four dogs trotting along their worn down trail through the tall grass, heading back into the dog yard for the evening.  About all I could see was heads and tails sticking up above the grass, with the full moon and a planet (Venus?) in the darkening sky above them.  It was a pretty sight.  After I put the mower away and got the dogs inside, I brought my camera out to take this picture. 


I got a late start on the mowing because I spent several hours today at the Charlottesville-Albemarle SPCA.  They were hosting a presentation by Aimee Sadler of the Longmont Humane Society about utilizing play groups in a shelter environment to help dogs with dog-on-dog social skills and to help shelters make better dog placements.  It is something that I do, so I was interested in the topic and I never fail to learn something at a presentation like this.  Although I have kennels that I can keep dogs separated if necessary, I always like to have them with at least one other dog.  They are pack animals and it's a normal social structure for them.  They are happier (and quieter) in a more normal social structure.  It helps their adoption prospects if I can tell potential adopters that they have lived successfully with other dogs, or if they can't live with certain dogs.  It was worthwhile but I couldn't stay for the final session because I needed to get home and get back to work.  I may try to go back Thursday afternoon after my dentist appointment for the hands on part of the training. 

Cole is working out well in his new home and they want to finalize the adoption.  The swelling in Hobby's scrotum is on the path to normal and I've actually been leaving him outside in the shed at night with Trace and Mercedes.  Ryland still comes in, of course, and I've also been bringing in the little boxer boy, Willy.  He is so cute.  I just love this little guy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The planet is Jupiter.

BudsBuddy said...

I walked my dog by moonlight on Tuesday along pasture trails, and it was very lovely too. Cool but not cold, very quiet. We both enjoyed the slightly different perspective on our usual terrain. I also thought the planet was Venus, but now know it is Jupiter.