Thursday, November 3, 2011

Two more for Thursday

I've been trying to stay ahead of my work this week because I knew that today wouldn't be my most productive day.  I left about 11:00 a.m. and drove down I-84 to meet my doggie dealer.  She had called last week about two dogs in her local shelter and I really couldn't say no to her or either of them.

Cole was given up by an elderly man with heart problems who couldn't handle him.  He's just about 5 months old, a pretty chunky 64 pounds, and pretty much of a puppy still.  Apparently he is housetrained, however, and he had been neutered already, so the owner must have been a pretty responsible sort.

He's a nice looking dog, but he's a little unusual.  The head is clearly all shepherd, but from the neck back he looksk more like a lab.  That's ok, it's not a bad mix.  A little less shepherd and a little more lab would be good for most of them.  And he's sufficiently shepherd that he should still appeal to people looking for a shepherd.  He has a shorter, smoother coat too, so he might not shed as much as most shepherds.  We stopped at the vet's office as I passed by Charlottesville on the way home and got him vaccinated and tested for heartworm (all negative).  He's good to go and I'm hoping I can find someone willing to foster him.  I don't need another dog around here right now, especially just a few weeks before Thanksgiving.



The other object of today's trip, and the one I was most looking forward to, was this guy, a small boxer I'm calling Willy.  He's about a year and a half old, and is a sweet boy, but has probably seen some hard times.  He came from a meth addict's household, the man went to jail and the woman is in a shelter for battered women.  That's the short version of the story and it's about all I know or care to know.  It's one of those situations where the dog is better off, far better off, than he was at home. 

He's very sweet, and is a very hunky little dude.  Willly is a very compact 51 pounds.  He's small in stature, but he's got broad shoulders and is very muscular.  If he was a human, he'd be a gymnast.  Or maybe he'd be a boxer. 

He is not neutered, but will be.  He shared the same vet visit today and got the vaccines and heartworm test done as well.   I'm not sure how long he had been in the shelter, but he was sure happy to get out and roll in the grass this afternoon.




I'm a big fan of these little boxers.  Cute and sweet.  I think this guy will be fun to have around, but I also think that I'll get a lot of interest in him when I get him posted on Petfinder.



It was a beautiful day for a drive.  I made it home just in time to get everyone settled and fed before it got dark.  I got my work done sooner than anticipated and even did a write up for the shepherd and sent off photos in hope of finding him a foster home. 


 

No comments: