Friday, November 11, 2011

TDIF

A varied cast of characters. 
Katie, the biggest, was adopted yesterday while I was there.
Thank Dog it's Friday.  I've got a crockpot full of soup going, but that may just be food for the weekend.  I'm feeling the need to get out of the house tonight.  I've done pretty good at sticking to the work schedule this week, albeit with some irregular hours.  I don't know how anyone does the daily 9 to 5 routine.  I'm very spoiled by this telecommuting job with flexible hours. 

The houndy guy on the left was all smiles with everyone,
just a big goofy guy happy to be outside and playing like a dog.
Thursday afternoon I went back to CASPCA for day 2 of the play group training.  Like I said, I do that here all the time, but I only add one new dog at a time.  Doing it in a shelter setting with a changing cast of characters would certainly be more challenging.  The benefits to the dogs are obvious though.  They get out of their individual, or shared, runs and get to play outdoors with others.  I walked one dog back to the kennels and walked past several who had already been out and gone back.  They were sacked out, tired and contented, de-stressed, much more "normal" dogs.  So many dogs who were thought to be dog-aggressive because of how they act in the kennels were actually good with others once they were out.  I have found the same here.  Dogs who "fence fight" often just want to play and we misinterpret their behavior when they are kenneled.  Our Molly, who is good with everyone, loves to "fence fight" with any dog in the kennel adjacent to the dog yard.  To her it's a game, and apparently a fun one.  It is the only time I hear Molly bark. 

Some dogs, like some people, just have really good social skills, can make everyone like them, and they throughly enjoy social interaction. 

We are going to complete Cole's adoption paperwork via mail.

I haven't heard from the woman I thought was interested in Thora.

Hobby will be going to his new home next Monday. 

It's another week yet before the folks who are interested in Trace are back at home, if they are still interested. 

I haven't got the boxer neutered yet or Mercedes spayed, so they aren't going anywhere, although I have received a couple applications for the boxer, Willy.  There are no adoption events this weekend because Sunday is the VGSR quarterly meeting (rescheduled).  I'm doing a home visit on Saturday but they aren't interested in any of my dogs and I have my doubts about them as adopters anyway, so that may be a waste of time.  Thanksgiving is fast approaching. 

We've had beautiful weather this week, however, and it's good dog weather, at least during the day.  I discovered today that Mercedes is a freak about the water hose. 

Re-filling the water tank was a highlight of the day for Mercedes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nothing beats watching happy dogs at play.