Friday, November 25, 2011

It's a dog

Trace (right) was adopted out on the Sunday right before we left.  His new owners sent a Thanksgiving email with pictures of all three of their dogs, and this one of Trace with his new red ball.  I am very happy for Trace.  He's a very good dog, just not good with screaming children.  That's not an issue in his new home and he's settling in there very well. 

Hunter (left) is a 19 month old male who will be coming to us when we return from Kentucky.  He was an improvident purchase by a young woman who then left the dogs with her parents, who weren't really dog people and weren't really looking for a high maintenance pain in the ass that is a young male shepherd. 

Hunter was thought to be dog-aggressive, but it seems that he really just lacks some social skills and experience with other dogs.  He met three dogs at an adoption event without a problem.  I have several dogs at home, of course, so he will get a crash course in dog etiquette.  He needs to be neutered of course, but a good looking, young, male shepherd should get a lot of interest from potential adopters.  I really would like to find an experienced owner in a kid and cat-free household for him.  He hasn't had much training or attention and he's going to need some work. 

The little girl on the left is a female shepherd who came into a shelter that my doggie dealer pulls from.  She's a pretty young thing, there was no reason I wouldn't say "yes" when asked to take her.  However, she didn't come into the shelter alone, she was dumped along with her 7 pups.  Two of them are shown here (right) although they sure don't look like shepherd pups.  Apparently the litter is very diverse, ranging from these light fluffy pups to a couple who are nearly solid black.  This is certainly a case of multiple fathers.  When people ask me, and they will, "what is it?", I will simply say:  "It's a dog."

1 comment:

BudsBuddy said...

My dog is also of very indeterminate parentage. When people ask me what she is, I usually say she's "one of a kind." Which she certainly is! Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. I am thankful there are people like you in the world!