Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Puppy poop

Puppy poop is a unique smell.  It seems to be the same regardless of breed and even regardless of what they eat.  I haven't had puppies around for quite a while, until today.  The smell hit me immediately and brought back a lot of puppy smell memories. 

I picked up Ginger (left) and five puppies today. 

Ginger is great.  Linda (my doggie dealer from SW VA), pulled her and the pups from a shelter, where they had been surrendered.  Ginger got out of her pen the first night but didn't go anywhere; she just wanted in.  So she's been living indoors with Linda and her dogs, and cats, and is said to have perfect house manners and is cat-friendly.  She's also young and very pretty, so she should be fairly easy to place. 

Actually I think I have a foster home lined up for her in northern VA, where she will be indoors and get plenty of attention.  She's had a rabies vaccine and just needs to be spayed prior to adoption. 

The pups are cute but sure don't look like shepherds.  There are four that look like these two, blond and fluffy, the fifth one is solid black.  The former owner said that the father was a large yellow lab, but who knows? 

I mixed up a batch of puppy gruel in the blender:  dry puppy food, half a can of canned food, a little milk, and hot water.  They were born about mid-September, making them 9-10 weeks old.  I'm not opposed to adopting them out for Christmas, but you can be sure I'll do my best to make sure they are going to serious homes who won't return them in a few weeks or months.

5 comments:

BudsBuddy said...

OMG, mom and pups are gorgeous. I predict they will all have families clamoring for them this month! Even so, I wish the former owner had done the right thing and gotten Ginger spayed in the first place...

Maryo said...

Ginger certainly is pretty and she should regain her girlish figure fairly quickly. She is clearly in better shape than Dusty (aka Kate #2)was after having puppies.

The pups are so cute and the shepherd-lab combination could be a good mix.

Ann said...

Personal bias aside...they do actually look like Golden pups! And, folks have been known to get yellow Labs and Goldies mixed up on occasion.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking Golden too, but they're cute whatever is mixed in there.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever considered writing an ebook or guest authoring on other websites?
I have a blog based upon on the same topics you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information. I know my audience would enjoy
your work. If you're even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e-mail.