Monday, November 28, 2011

My old Kentucky home, part II

This is Britt, she's a senior boxer
This is Mojo (front) and my mother.
Mojo was in a lot of pics because
he's always in your face.
We returned home from Kentucky on Saturday, in time to retrieve Zachary, Molly, and Trooper from one kennel just before dark.  They all had baths that night.  We got the rest of them home on Sunday and Bremo, Cabell, and Willy the boxer (all the indoor dogs) also had baths. 

























Sarge is a community dog but stays mostly with Kate & Kim. 
He sleeps inside with the others and has his own food dish.
His actual owners are white trash who do nothing for him.
He always comes back to where he's cared for.
Britt and Louie, sharing a bed.
I'm getting some new dogs this week, but first I thought I'd post some more pics from our trip to Kentucky.  Clay's mother went with us and his brother flew in from New York.  My mother flew from Kansas.  Clay and I are fortunate in that not only do our families get along, they actually enjoy getting together.










Jack, a/k/a LowJack
Part husky, part bassett? 
Looks like he was put together with spare parts
Sweet dog all around
The front of Federal Hill
The title of this post is, of course, borrowed from the title of the Stephen Foster song, "My Old Kentucky Home, Good Night."  I knew that it was the state song of Kentucky, but I didn't know until this trip that "good night" was part of the song's title.  I picked up that little tidbit of information on our visit to Bardstown, Kentucky, where the house that allegedly inspired the song actually exists.  I would have assumed that the house was Stephen Foster's childhood home and that it was an old log cabin in the woods somewhere.  I so was very wrong about this, like so many other things.  The house is actually a beautiful Federal style mansion called Federal Hill that belonged to Foster's cousins, a family of a prominent attorney, judge, and politcian from Bardstown.  What is unusual about this house is that it retains over 70% of the original furnishings, due to the fact that it remained in the family until being transferred to the state as a museum.













Jack is cute.  He's very independent
but he wants love about once a day.
Aggie is a Jack Russell Terrier
She wandered in many years ago and stayed.
Actually, now that I've read the Wikipedia entry about the song, it seems that I might have been closer to being correct than I thought.  That source discounts the claim that Federal Hill inspired the song and instead theorizes that it drew upon Harriett Beecher Stowe's 1851 bestseller Uncle Tom's Cabin. If you read the lyrics of the song, I'm more inclined to believe the latter.  It was an interesting tour anyway.




















Clay (left) and his younger brother, Hugh (right, holding Aggie)
Louie, a red beagle, moved in sometime in the past year.
We were smack in the middle of boubon country, so we also took in a couple of distilleries that I hadn't been to before, Woodford Reserve and Heaven Hill.  We also stopped in at Buffalo Trace in Frankfort, and the old sad ruins of the Old Taylor distillery.  Bourbon distilling figures very heavily in the history of the area.














Kate & Kim's back yard


Jack, running up the lane


It's a great place to be a dog.


Sarge (rear) and Britt (front), and that's a cat (1 of 3) on the chair at the back.

1 comment:

BudsBuddy said...

Looks like a great place to be a dog, cat or human! Thanks for sharing.