Monday, February 4, 2013

A rescuer's take on the Budweiser ad

Luke
If you haven't watched this, click here, and do so.  It's the new Budweiser ad that was rolled out for the Super Bowl, which as we all know is like Black Friday for the advertising and TV industry. 

The guy in the ad isn't a rescuer; he's the equine world's equivalent of a puppy raiser who raises and trains pups for the first year or so of their life before they go off to become working dogs.  He raises the foal and sends him off to become a Budweiser Clydesdale.  He gets the chance to see the horse in a parade three years later and he goes. 

Flirt
He's happy and excited to see the horse he raised, but his reaction is subdued somewhat when the horse passes by without any sign of recognition.  But, he knows that he's standing in a crowd along a busy street, the horse was wearing blinders, and anyway, it's been three years.  But even more so, he must realize that his horse now had a job to do and he performed it flawlessly, which wouldn't have been the case if he had reacted to seeing the man on the street.  The parade is over and the man walks away.  Job well done, by both him and the horse.

When the horse does come running up the street to greet him, well, that part is just the icing on the cake.  If you didn't cry a bit, I don't think we have much in common.  

Sweet Jeremy
Woody, now Krypto the Super Dog
I've seen many of my former fosters at various times after adoption.  The reactions vary.  Some don't seem to know me and that's ok.  In some cases it's been years since I had them and they may have been short timers around here.  They always say that dogs live in the moment, not in the past so I may have been little more than an attendant at a boarding kennel in their world.  Rescue and foster care is meant to be a brief interlude in a dog's life, a segue from one phase to another, and hopefully a very brief one that is soon forgotten.


There is one dog that I raised from a pup who still squirms, squeals, and makes happy puppy noises when I see her.  That's heart warming, believe me.  But equally heart warming are the ones who see me and immediately turn to their new owner, wanting nothing to do with me and hoping I haven't come to take them back.  It may be a little harder to understand why that makes me feel good, but it says to me that the dog is happy in the new home.  That is the goal and mark of a successful rescue effort. 
Rocky went through a lot, but came out on top.
I love the look in Trooper's eyes.




Our Molly was the original sentry.  Trooper took over from her. 



One of my favorite pics.  Flirt (left) with her new sister.
The pics are just sort of a random assortment from the past.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Balled during the commercial.

Anonymous said...

Everyone I know who saw that ad, cried a little bit. Perhaps the world is not as heartless as it seems.

BudsBuddy said...

Completely understand!