Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Last class

Gigi's academic career probably came to a close tonight.  It was her last class, and I'm not sure she learned a lot of obedience stuff (mostly because I didn't work on it with her).  However, she did learn that there is a world away from home, she learned to trust strangers a bit more, she gained a bit of self confidence in new situations, and she learned that she can trust me when she's uncertain.  All valuable lessons and that's really what we wanted to get out of the class.
 

Gigi had learned all she really needed to know in this life long before class.  I hate to say it, but she learned that I'm a soft touch, easily manipulated to get anything she wants.  She doesn't have to obey or be sociable or do stuff.  She doesn't have a job and she doesn't have to babysit the foster dogs.  The female dog is an exalted position in our house, Gypsy made it so and every female dog who has followed her has benefitted from that.  Gigi stepped into a sweet spot when she landed here and all she has to do is act like she deserves it.  She learned to do that pretty well.
  

When another dog is laying in a spot that she wants she comes up and just stands over them and stares.  Either she communicates telepathically or they don't like being stared at because it doesn't take long before they get up and give her the spot.  She uses the same technique on me.  She gets as high as possible--apparently her powers are directly correlated with her height.  She just stares at me and then it's clearly my job to figure out what she wants and to do it for her. 

Fortunately, she doesn't ask for much. 

Here are a few more pics from tonight's class.




Bandit (rear) and Mickey (front)
Both very good in class
Nikki, a very smart little cattle dog


She's got better graduation pics than my own,
and I had three tries--high school, college, and law school.
 

The girl can wear clothes; she looks good in anything.
 

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Loved your comment, Brent, that Gigi's graduation photos looked better than your own photos (even after three tries!). Great humor!

Risa said...

Congrats to both of you. I hope that Franklin does as well.