Friday, February 15, 2013

Beer is here


So, the labels may be better than the beer.  I choose wine based on the label, maybe the same principle should apply to beer.  Don't get me wrong, the beer is good, but I think you have to agree that the labels are awesome.

Clay and I are both pretty much completely right-brained with no artistic ability whatsoever.  Clay's father was an artist and Clay inherited a lot of his characteristics, but the artistic genes all went to his brother.  When I was a kid I sent away one of those "art tests" where you draw the pirate head and they try to hook you into their program in order to take your money.  Even they sent me a rejection saying, essentially, "We hope you have talents in other areas."  (I'm still looking for them.)
 

We have a friend, however, who does this graphic design work for a living.  She has even designed the logo and label for an actual commercially brewed beer.  We came up with the names and she did the rest.  I offered her all the stock she wanted in the brewery.  She can design a stock certificate and print as much of that as she wants.  Obviously, we owe her some beer.  By the way, she has a rescued Plott Hound (Mojo), so I'm guessing that was one easy.

She has done these two so far and these are the only two beers we have in bottles at this point anyway.  The third beer is in the fermenter right now, it's an English Special Bitter or ESB.  We will be calling it English Setter Bitter.  I can't wait for one that will call for a shepherd or a rottie. 

I'm sure that we are not the first or last home brewers to name their beer after dogs, but I would bet that we've got some of the best dog beer labels. 












1 comment:

BudsBuddy said...

Beautiful work. I also know some dogs named after beer ;)