Monday, February 18, 2013

Moving on



Last week was pretty much consumed by looking for and worrying about Maya.  Sightings of the dog were pretty frequent for a while, but now there have been none since early on Friday.  I would go out when I got a call, and saw her myself a few times, only to lose her when she would run off into the woods.  Given her inclination to run along the roadway, I can only assume that this ended badly for her.  I should have left her in the shelter.  She was sure to be euthanized there so I figured it was worth a chance, but at least it would have been a more merciful end.  The last couple of days I've just been driving the stretches of road where she had been seen.  On Sunday I even stopped to investigate a buzzard eating something in a field not far from the road.  I can't do it any more.  I can't continue to tear myself up over it; I can't jeopardize my job; and, as it was pointed out to me, there's a lot of other dogs who depend on me.  So I've got to live with the fact that I couldn't help her, I may never know what became of her, and just move on. 

Monday morning I took Booty to the vet for his heartworm treatment.  He's been good around here, very good in a crate, and he's ok in the center kennel and doesn't try to escape, at least if I leave him with some other dogs for company.  The worst thing about him is his submissive urination.  You have to be real calm getting him on a leash to get him outdoors. 

Hercules and Riley made the drive to the vet with Booty on Monday morning.  They were just along to get weighed, however.  Herc is looking good and is up to almost 74 lbs.  Riley was about the same 68 lbs. that she was at the last weigh in.  She's getting the pancreatic enzyme now and she's getting enough food to gain weight, so I'm not sure what her problem is.  I'm going to start feeding her the raw chicken backs that Hercules is enjoying and see if that makes a difference.   

I think Lady needs to be seen by the vet again soon.  She has licked up two hot spots and is wearing the cone again.  She's not happy about that and it makes her rather grouchy.  It seems that she's just licking the most convenient spot on her abdomen (one spot on each side, depending on what side she's laying on).  I'm a little concerned that the licking is due to internal pain or discomfort. 


I had Monday off from work so I made a couple trips to Lowe's for lumber to continue my boardwalk out the dog yard.  On the way back from the second trip to stopped by the Fluvanna SPCA and brought home Rocky. 

He's a little rottie mix, even smaller than Riley.  He looks like a teddy bear. 

Rocky was owned by an elderly couple who kept him in an outdoor pen and then gave him up when they moved.  But he was already neutered and he's now been vaccinated.  He has met all the other fosters and is fine with them all.  Seems like a sweet boy. 

It was a sunny day with no wind, a really nice day.  I even managed to convince Gigi to stay outside with me for a while.  She kept an eye on my building project. 







2 comments:

Pattie said...

I worked with a cat rescue in Australia, and when bad things happened it was always hard to move on. I'll be hoping for you to find out what happened to her.

Rocky looks like a real sweetheart

Anonymous said...

You have done such an amazing feat-you save dogs, you rescue them and you love them. It is sad that Maya got away but please don't beat yourself up. You make a difference every day with your actions!