Thursday, April 11, 2013

Hooray Spring!

It was just a couple weeks ago that we had snow.  It was 90 degrees yesterday and I've got the air conditioning on already.  Spring was about four days sandwiched closely in between.  If you blinked, you missed it. 

Spring means growing grass, which means pretty much constant mowing around here.  Last Sunday I started that routine, and actually managed to get all three mowers started without professional help.  That has never happened before.  Two of them may still need batteries, but at least I was able to get them running, and cutting grass.  I also did the first round of weed spraying on the driveway and part of our mile of fence line. 

The mowing will be good as a form of exercise, at least if I use the walk-behind mower, and it's the easiest one to start anyway.  I was back at the doctor's office yesterday and my weight is down 16 pounds off my peak, and my blood pressure is back to a normal range.  I still want to drop at least another 20 pounds, though, so I've got a long way to go.  Realistically, I can't reduce my food intake much more, so exercise is going to have to account for much of weight loss from this point on.

Spring also means an influx of animals to shelters, as people dump their dogs and the spring crop of kittens and puppies.  I had an email from a local shelter this morning about an asshole dumping two shepherds.  This one is named Trouble, a name she probably picked up as a pup, and deservedly so, but the shelter director told me that she's very sweet, house trained, and sat in her lap yesterday taking treats.  The same assholes have another shepherd to dump as well, but they are holding onto that one for the moment because the shelter was full. 

The local folks who took in Tanya have someone coming to meet her this weekend.  I hope that it results in an adoption, and if so, they will take in Stella.  I need to find someone else for Trouble (a cat-free home) because I'll probably be getting her on Saturday.  She's pretty.  Sixteen months old.  I seem to be on a run of bi-colors lately. 

Little Girl (Maya) is doing well, seems to be back to normal but I'm keeping her on restricted activity as much as possible.  Gigi started going after the stitches on her elbow and I sent her back into the vet this morning with Clay, probably for some repair work.  She will be in a cone, I'm afraid, and that's going to make all of us miserable. 





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad Maya is perking up. Those pics of her post surgery were so sad looking! Poor girl!

LOL- I hope you are able to be strong and keep Gigi's cone on!