Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A very veterinarian day

Maya, feeling lousy, laying under my legs
at the vet's office today.
Monday night Maya came home from her spay, went to her spot in the bedroom and just laid down.  I took up a little chicken and rice in a bowl along with a Rimadyl.  She ate it, but then proceeded to vomit every few hours throughout the night.  This morning she looked and felt like crap so I took her to vet first thing. 

I had a 9:00 a.m. appointment with Hercules anyway, so Maya just tagged along.  She needed fluids and they checked to make sure she wasn't losing blood.  She spent the day there.

Curled up, inactive, dragging, obviously
weak and dehydrated after a night of vomiting.

























Hercules
Hercules was going in for blood work to be sent off to Texas A&M  where they will do a thorough diagnostic test for EPI among other things.  His weight was pretty much the same as last time, not gaining or losing.  His skin was better at least, but his ear was still gunky.  He's been on a strict limited ingredient diet (California Natural Fish and Sweet Potato), getting about 6 cups a day.  His poop is good, but he should be gaining weight and still isn't, hence the EPI test.

I hope that this blood work will give us some answers about
what is causing his digestive problem so I can get him in
shape and get him adopted.

























Stella was a screamer at the vet's office when
anyone touched her, even without doing anything.
I still wait a week or two and then schedule her
to be spayed.  She's a nice girl.  She is on a diet
now too so she will slim down a bit.
Since Maya was spending the day at the vet, I knew I'd have to make a second trip to town late in the day anyway, so I scheduled an initial visit for Stella to get vaccines and tests.  She was a big drama queen, screaming when anyone touched her but not aggressive.  She obviously hasn't been to a vet much, if ever.  She tested positive for hook and whip worms in her stool, and for Erlichia in her blood, and she has a terrible sounding hacking cough when she gets excited so she may have kennel cough on top of it all. 


Maya this evening.
I came home with lots of meds for Stella and started the three day Panacure routine for both her and Frank since they've been sharing space.  I gave Maya a little bit of canned food and she ate it right up and has kept it down, so far at least.  I've got a big batch of chicken and rice cooking now, which I normally feed to Gigi, Cabell, and Bremo, but she will be getting some of that as well. 

I probably spent eight hours or more on dog stuff today, so I've got work to do this evening, but I'm happy and relieved that Maya is feeling better and is back home.  When I came home without her from the morning trip to town, Trooper gave me a close inspection with his nose, probably trying to figure out what had happened to her. 









1 comment:

Living the life in The Little City said...

I just kind of love Maya. Thanks for being so good to her!